• Show
Clear All
  • Raymonator
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Near Ottawa Ontario
    • Ryobi BT3100

Cordless Drill Decision

I know there are plenty of contractor type cordless drills out there and seeing I'm just a weekend hacker, I decided to purchase a new cordless drill at Canadian Tire. I've boiled it down to two models. The MasterCraft 18V Maximum with 1/2" keyless chuck, and the Black and Decker ThunderVolt which is also an 18V and has the 1/2" keyless chuck too. Both models come with two rechargeable batteries and one hour chargers, the only difference is that the B&D acts as a hammer drill too.
    The MasterCraft has two little led lights under the trigger which point in the direction of the drill bit etc.
    Which one of these two models would you take ? They are both the exact same price ($158.00 CAD) Again, I know I could purchase a Dewalt, Makita or any other rugged construction type cordless, but truth be known, I have a $50.00 gift certificate from Canadian Tire and plan to use it for a drill. (yep, I am frugle)
    Oh and by the way, I received my Shark Guard from Lee this week and can't wait to set it up on my 3100. He does impeccable work.
    Last edited by Raymonator; 06-30-2006, 06:12 PM.
    Measure twice....cut once.
    Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)
  • steve-u
    Established Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Bartlett, Ill.
    • Ryobi BT 3100

I don't really know much about either one but I would compare the warranty between the two, the torque rating, construction/feel [do either say ball bearing construction, etc] and availability of parts, particualry batteries down the road. If they seem pretty equal I would probably go with the B&D since it has the hammer drill feature and most likely you will be able to get batteries years from now. Doing Google searches on each model may get you some online reviews or opinions from users. --- Steve

Comment

• dwolsten
      Established Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Chandler, AZ, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3100

I'm just curious: why would anyone buy a drill at a tire shop? I've never seen a tire shop that sold anything besides wheels and tires. Is this normal up there?

Comment

• John Hunter
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Lake Station, IN, USA.
        • BT3000 & BT3100

When I decided I had a need for cordless tools beyond my 9.6 volt Makita drill I decided on the 18 volt Ryobi tools, I now own their drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw, right angle drill, flashlight, vacume, and impact driver. I love the way I can add a tool I need without having to buy more batteries and chargers. I also love the price of the batteries compared to the other brands.
        John Hunter

Comment

• mschrank
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2004
          • Hood River, OR, USA.
          • BT3000

Originally posted by dwolsten
          I'm just curious: why would anyone buy a drill at a tire shop? I've never seen a tire shop that sold anything besides wheels and tires. Is this normal up there?

Not sure about the origin of the name...perhaps they started out selling tires. At any rate, they have quite a range of products:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/index.jsp
          Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• lcm1947
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Austin, Texas
            • BT 3100-1

Sorry Ray, you are on your own there unless somebody comes by that knows something about these particular tools. I think Steve probably gave you the best answer anybody can without knowing the tools. I guess you could throw in however which feels better or looks better but that's probably only important to me after considering more important features though. Good luck and I'll sure either way you go you'll get many good uses enjoyment out of either. If you just had to make me pick one though I too would pick the B&D. Later.
            May you die and go to heaven before the Devil knows you're dead. My Best, Mac

Comment

• Raymonator
              Established Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Near Ottawa Ontario
              • Ryobi BT3100

Wouldn't you know it, I went for the MasterCraft lol. Although I really liked the looks, feel and reputation of the B&D, the latter had a 2 year warranty, as the MasterCraft comes with a 5 year no questions asked warranty. I think it's basically the warranty that sold me, plus it's a real purty blue and silver color It also had a few more torque adjustments which could come in handy. Anyway, it's home now, and the batteries are charging as I type this. For the weekend woodworker, I'm sure it'll do the job fine, if not.....that'll be it for the MasterCraft tools. Thanks all for your replies.
              PS: Canadian Tire stores sell everything from ATV's to garden accessories, tools, tires, oil, and all sorts of household goodies. The only thing they don't sell is lumber basically. Sort of like a HD but minus the lumber.
              Last edited by Raymonator; 06-30-2006, 06:21 PM.
              Measure twice....cut once.
              Happiness makes up in height what it lacks in length (Robert Frost)

Comment

• newbie2wood
                Established Member
                • Apr 2004
                • NJ, USA.

I too would go with the B&D. Inexpensive drill/drivers are pretty much consider disposable these days. I wouldn't worry are getting parts or batteries several years from now. If the drill last several years, you got your money's worth.

MasterCraft tools do not have much of a good reputation in the my area. Their tools are found in department stores such as Target's. I have heard some good comments about MasterCraft's hand tools but that's about it. B&D on the other hand is know for making power tools in the U.S.

I have a 24volt B&D Firestorm Hammer drill (1/2" keyless chuck) which sounds similar to the 18V Thundervolt. I like the drill and have not been disappointed by the purchase. The hammer feature works but definitely not for heavy duty drilling.

Edited: Read your second post after submitting my feedback. Good luck with the drill and let us know how it turned out.
                ________
                Live sex
                Last edited by newbie2wood; 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Basically, my need for tools is more the hobby and home maintenance than anything else. So, most of my tools have the cord and I was quite happy with leaving it that way, especially in view of all the postings regarding poor battery life, failures, etc. with both batteries and chargers.

But last fall, I picked up a Ridgid "Combo" that gave me a 14.4 volt 3/8-inch drill and impact driver for just $135 (U.S.). Individually they sold for around $169, so couldn't pass up that deal. With Ridgid's "Lifetime Servie Agreement", I'll never have to buy another battery or charger for these tools.

Now that I've used them quite a bit, I've become a real fan of "cordless". So, whatever "speaks to you" will surely work out and that 5-year warranty sounds like a good reason to back up your decision.

CWS
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...