• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffrey Schronce
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • York, PA, USA.

DJ-20 v Powermatic 60B

Any thoughts on above jointers? I understand that DJ-20 is pretty much the industry standard, but Powermatic has a great reputation as well (but maybe not as much so as the DJ-20).

DJ-20 = 1499.99 - 30% +$99 shipping $1049.99

60B = 1199.99 - 30% + 149 shipping = $988.99 ($850 with clamp value below)

The 60B also comes with $160 Jet Parallel Clamp Set which has not been in stock at Amazon for a long time. I may actually be able to parlay that into a $160.00 discount off the $988.99 which would definately be the swing vote. Otherwise I would be selling the set and figuring to get $125 for them.

DJ-20 60B
    394 lbs 287 lb
    Parallelogram table Dovetail Way
    1.5HP 2HP
    16500 Cuts per minute 21000 cuts per minute
    2 year warranty 1 year warranty

Both have springjack screw knife

Gut is saying Powermatic is the way to go, though I see value in the parallelogram table in the Delta. The Powermatic coming out $200 cheaper net is speaking highly to me as well. I just want to do it right and be done with it.
  • JTimmons
    • Feb 2005
    • Denver, CO.
    • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

I'd say the Powermatic, looks like a better deal. Either way, YOU SUCK!
    "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
    -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• wassaw998
      • Jul 2004
      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I don't know Jeffrey, I am starting to think Delta is slipping in quality. There was a review of 8" Jointers in a recent FWW - can't recall what PM jointer they reviewed but I do recall it had a few nice features that they liked -for some reason I think the one they reviewed had a parallelogram table, but maybe worth checking out. I'd post over in woodnet and ask there were it me.
      Chris

Comment

• bigsteel15
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Edmonton, AB
        • Ryobi BT3100

Looks like a no-brainer to me.
        Based on recent Delta reviews and how well received the PM stuff is.
        Oh, and BTW...YOU SUCK
        Brian

Welcome to the school of life
        Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by wassaw998
          I don't know Jeffrey, I am starting to think Delta is slipping in quality. There was a review of 8" Jointers in a recent FWW - can't recall what PM jointer they reviewed but I do recall it had a few nice features that they liked -for some reason I think the one they reviewed had a parallelogram table, but maybe worth checking out. I'd post over in woodnet and ask there were it me.
          I read the review on FWW of 8" jointers and didn't pick up the negatives on the Delta. They actually reviewed 2 Deltas, one lower end and the new version that replaced the DJ-20 (DJ-20 is only being used in the X models now I guess).
          I was just coming in here to copy my post and put it on woodnet. I am sure I will be promptly advised that 1) The Grizzly was better rated than either and 2) I am an inferior woodworker to have such a piece of equipment.

Comment

• JTimmons
            • Feb 2005
            • Denver, CO.
            • Grizzly 1023SLX, Ryobi BT3100

"I am an inferior woodworker to have such a piece of equipment."

I wouldn't be surprised, but remember one thing opinions are like (nevermind, you know the rest.)
            "Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt and then having him catch his hand in the drill."
            -- Johnny Carson

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

Jeffrey,

I have the PM60B and it is a sweet machine. Wood did a review on them too and picked the 60B as one of their top machines. Don't remember if the delta was in there. Funny thing was they talked 60B but showed pictures of the parallelogram 882.

Either machine would be an excellent choice. I do not hear great things about Delta these days but sounds like their customer service is still top notch. I've heard stories of them sending customers replacement unisaw tops because the tolerance on the ones received was bad. That in itself though tells you nobody seems to be checking.

Only thing missing on the 60B is handwheels vs. the lever but that's not a big deal either.

Go gold and never look back.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
                Jeffrey,

I have the PM60B and it is a sweet machine. Wood did a review on them too and picked the 60B as one of their top machines. Don't remember if the delta was in there. Funny thing was they talked 60B but showed pictures of the parallelogram 882.

Either machine would be an excellent choice. I do not hear great things about Delta these days but sounds like their customer service is still top notch. I've heard stories of them sending customers replacement unisaw tops because the tolerance on the ones received was bad. That in itself though tells you nobody seems to be checking.

Only thing missing on the 60B is handwheels vs. the lever but that's not a big deal either.

Go gold and never look back.
                Thanks man. I am leaning that way and will make decision tommorow. Woodnet threw in the Shop Fox 8" that is a identical clone of the DJ-20 and at about $750 is a deal breaker on the Delta. So it will be PM or SF.

I need to check the FWW reveiw again. I saw the photo and noticed it was not the 60B so I didn't look that closely.

The lever also has a microfine turning adjustment as well right?

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

I would think the shop fox is the same machine as the China made Grizz 0490. If you want to go that route, maybe the Grizz is a better deal. Not familiar with the SF but that is the only parallelogram jointer Grizz has and SF is the retail brand of Grizz.

I have a SF dealer next town over had the 12" SF jointer on Ebay for $1799, if I only had the cash.
                  Brian
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • York, PA, USA.

I would think the shop fox is the same machine as the China made Grizz 0490. If you want to go that route, maybe the Grizz is a better deal. Not familiar with the SF but that is the only parallelogram jointer Grizz has and SF is the retail brand of Grizz.

I have a SF dealer next town over had the 12" SF jointer on Ebay for $1799, if I only had the cash.
                    My understanding is that DJ-20 = Grizzly 0490 = Shop Fox 8" Parallelogram

People are buying SF for $700 plus tax, no shipping (if local) and Grizzly is $750 plus tax (I am in PA), no shipping (I can drive there). SF has 2 year warranty, Griz and Delta are 1 year.

$1800 for the SF is a great deal but I still can't figure out pricing of jointers.
                    6" = $325
                    8" = $750
                    12" = $1800
                    I mean you have already made the base, ya it has to be a little bigger. You already have a motor, ya its a little bigger. Same with tables, fences, etc. The increase in cost should be some what relative to the increase in size.

Brian, BTW just got your email about Whiteside price match. Hope Amazon doesn't sell them and start their pricing nonsense!
                    Last edited by Jeffrey Schronce; 06-29-2006, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Holbren
                      • Oct 2004
                      • Heathrow, FL.

The Grizz and SF are copies of the Delta. The Delta is still made in Taiwan and the others in China if that makes a difference to you. I think I read once the Delta has a more significant chunk of iron on the top.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be a happy camper.

Whiteside has very strict pricing polcies. They will never get involved with the Amazon give away strategy. The day they do, I'm out. How can anyone compete with that nonsense.
                      Brian
                      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • York, PA, USA.

The Grizz and SF are copies of the Delta. The Delta is still made in Taiwan and the others in China if that makes a difference to you. I think I read once the Delta has a more significant chunk of iron on the top.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be a happy camper.

Whiteside has very strict pricing polcies. They will never get involved with the Amazon give away strategy. The day they do, I'm out. How can anyone compete with that nonsense.
                        Thanks. I never saw a country of origin for the Delta (Taiwan v China makes no difference to me).

Glad to hear that they will not get involved with Amazon nonsense. I am also very happy that you have added Whiteside to your stable. I think you can single handedly take care of all my router bit needs now. I have to admit I have not used Whiteside, only Freud Cabinet sets and your Holbren set, but I do look forward to giving them a spin!

Comment

• wassaw998
                          • Jul 2004
                          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

You are correct, the FWW article did not say negs on the DJ-20, just tossing in that article as something for ref on 8" jointers. The neg on delta comment was seperate - based on my own exp and on my reading, and just something to consider when weighing a choice.
                          Chris

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2005
                            • York, PA, USA.

Darn it. Amazon killed $150 of the PM deal so it ended up being $1199.99 - 30% +$149 shipping. Still a good deal, but folks on woodnet are getting the Shop Fox W1684 for $650 - $700. This machine is a cloan of the DJ-20. I will have to pay tax but I can most likely get it locally as there are two dealers.
                            Thanks guys

Comment

Working...