• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luckbox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Holly Springs, NC

Buying a new jointer

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 6” jointer from Grizzly (http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0452). I was looking around at 6” jointers and this one seems to look good on paper but reality and paper specs are two different things. I am currently looking at the Rigid 6 1/8 jointer, Bridgewood® Model BW-6R 6” Jointer, and the YORKCRAFT® Model YC-6J 6" Jointer looks just like the Grizzly. The only one I can physically touch is the Rigid and the Delta®6" Deluxe Jointer and out of those 2 I like the look and feel of the rigid.
    I love lamp.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Those are all great machines....pick a color and/or features. I've had a Griz 1182 for ~ 4 years that's been flawless.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Holbren
      • Oct 2004
      • Heathrow, FL.

I'm partial to Bridgewood myself but they're all good machines. The one thing Grizz has over the others is shipping cost. I think you'll find the Wilke freight bill will rule out the other two. Kept me from buying Yorkcraft stuff.
      Brian
      Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      www.holbren.com

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2005
        • York, PA, USA.

Originally posted by Holbren
        I'm partial to Bridgewood myself but they're all good machines. The one thing Grizz has over the others is shipping cost. I think you'll find the Wilke freight bill will rule out the other two. Kept me from buying Yorkcraft stuff.
        Brian,
        You may want to give them a call in the future (assuming you didn't). They actually get some very nice discounted motor freight rates and may or may not pass them on depending upon the profit margin of the machine. In other words they have gross margin in freight on some items.

To the original poster I would determine which you like better and if it is the Wilke product give them a call and see what they can do for you.

I've touched all of them and I prefer the Griz and YC. The Yorkcraft has handwheel infeed and outfeeds (the Griz does have handwheel for outfeed). Otherwise this choice seems to be a coin flip.

The YC seems superior to the BW, though the BW is more money. I believe the 6" and 8" BW will be phased out and they will only offer YC in those sizes in the future.

I will say that I bought a 8" from Grizzly a couple weeks ago at their tent sale in Muncy and am having to return it since I can not get the fence and infeed and outfeed tables 90 degree. They did give me a little resistence in returning since I bought it at the tent sale for a great price, however they are accepting the return. Since I picked it up on site I am having to take it back myself or ship it.

Comment

• Luckbox
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Holly Springs, NC

Well I called Wilkes and the best shipping they quoted form me in Florida was $105. I do like the York craft. Like the wheels for the in feed and out feed table, where the Grizzly only has one on the out feed table and a lever for the in feed. But when you add the shipping for the York craft it would cost $75 more than the grizzly.

Is the second wheeling that much better than the lever?

Also if there is an issue with the jointer shipping it back would not really be a great option. Is quality control a major issue with any of these machines?

The York craft and the Grizzly both come with wheels to move the jointer around where I would need to buy or build a mobile base for the Rigid.

The major benefit of the Rigid is I can pick it up and returns would be easy if there was any issue. I have called all the HD in a 25 mile radius and everyone’s price for the jointer is now $399 and they will not match the web price. So I find that a bit annoying.
          I love lamp.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • York, PA, USA.

[QUOTE=Luckbox]
            Is the second wheeling that much better than the lever?

Also if there is an issue with the jointer shipping it back would not really be a great option. Is quality control a major issue with any of these machines?
            QUOTE]

I would not think so.

Not to my knowledge. Most people are thrilled with Griz and Wilke service. My particular incident revolved around me buying a scratch/dent/return during the annual Grizzly tent sale. If you had issues either party would pay to fix or ship under their warrenty.

Comment

Working...