X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RickT
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003

Performax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander

Does anyone have a Performax 22-44 Plus Drum Sander? I purchased one in April, and I still can't get it working correctly. The conveyor system won't track--it "walks" to the left. I have followed the instructions found in the manual. I have checked the conveyor table for flatness, and it seems right on. I have adjusted the rubber feed roller so that the distance away and below the table on the right and left side is within a couple thousandths of each other. (The technical service rep from WMH Tool Group told me it that roller should be the same distance below the table on both ends.) I've tried three conveyor belts. The manual says to tighten the side that the conveyor belt drifts toward. I need to completely loosen the right side and make the left side very tight. The adjustments don't seem to have much effect. The rubber feed roller is slightly tapered on both ends. Should I just return it and go back to using my Random Orbit Sander? Any help would be greatly appreciated?
    Thanks,
    Rick
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

I have the 10/20 but I'd think they are pretty much the same except for size. Does yours have the magnetic tracking guides? I didn't have any problems with mine so I can't tell you what adjustment might work, but since you didn't mention the tracking guides I thought they might be missing.
    DonHo
    Don

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

When you say you completely loosen one side, does the belt seem slack on that side? And tight on the other?

What's the total tightness of the belt? E.g., can you stop it with hand pressure on the table? IIRC, this is the test for belt tightness.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• RickT
        Established Member
        • Jun 2003

I do have the magnetic tracking guides, they produce a shower of ceramic dust while they rip up the left side of the conveyor belt. As for belt tension, having the tension specified in the manual, not too tight but tight enough not to be able to stop the belt with hand pressure, yes, I have set it up that way. But to keep the belt from walking off to the left, I need to add tension to the left side and loosen the right side to the point of having the belt very slack on that side. The manual says to tighten the side it's moving toward. I assume that means add tension to that side. Technically, I'm loosening the nut (turning it to the left) to push the slide bracket which holds the passive roller away from the table.

I've wanted a drum sander for quite some time. I jumped in when Jet had the 10% + $100 rebate offers. I like it, even though I have yet to sand anything with it, but I just can't get the conveyor to track. Is it worth my pursuing this? Do you guys get enough use/benefit from having a drum sander? I was planning to use it to sand panels so they would be perfectly flat. It's tough to achieve that with a ROS. The drum sander is also very heavy and took a lot of effort from LOML and me to get it into my basement shop. I wouldn't enjoy packing it back up, getting it back upstairs and outside to my CR-V, and return it.

Thanks again,
        Rick

Comment

• Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by RickT
          I do have the magnetic tracking guides, they produce a shower of ceramic dust while they rip up the left side of the conveyor belt. As for belt tension, having the tension specified in the manual, not too tight but tight enough not to be able to stop the belt with hand pressure, yes, I have set it up that way. But to keep the belt from walking off to the left, I need to add tension to the left side and loosen the right side to the point of having the belt very slack on that side. The manual says to tighten the side it's moving toward. I assume that means add tension to that side. Technically, I'm loosening the nut (turning it to the left) to push the slide bracket which holds the passive roller away from the table.
          Yep, that all sounds right, including "tightening" of the belt requiring turning the bolt "lefty loosey". And following those instructions has always given me the "right" results on my 10-20.

I've wanted a drum sander for quite some time. I jumped in when Jet had the 10% + $100 rebate offers. I like it, even though I have yet to sand anything with it, but I just can't get the conveyor to track. Is it worth my pursuing this? Do you guys get enough use/benefit from having a drum sander? I was planning to use it to sand panels so they would be perfectly flat. It's tough to achieve that with a ROS. The drum sander is also very heavy and took a lot of effort from LOML and me to get it into my basement shop. I wouldn't enjoy packing it back up, getting it back upstairs and outside to my CR-V, and return it.
          I think they're every bit as sweet as you do (or at least you did ). But it really seems like you've got one with a problem. If you do decide to exchange it, I'd recommend you test the next one first, before packing yours up and returning it (unless its a long drive).

Bottom line: You could end up with a lot more frustration trying to get this one working right, compared to the trouble of exchanging it.

Regards,
          Tom

Comment

• RodKirby
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
            • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

In my experience (not Performax), it took me about 2 hours to get mine tracking properly!

1. Set feed rate as high as possible - adjustments take a while to "take"
            2. Make "small" adjustments - be patient - have a coffe (or?) at hand.
            Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• RickT
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

Thanks again, guys. I'll gladly take the necessary time to adjust it, but when I set it to the highest speed, within 30 seconds the conveyor belt is near the end of the roller. I'm afraid that if I let it keep running, it will begin scraping the edige of the table and/or brackets. I have to stop it, loosen the passive roller, slide the conveyor belt back, re-tighten the passive roller, and start it up again.

I'm curious, does your rubber feed roller have a slight taper on each end, does it have a slight flair on each end, or is it straight across its entire length?

Thanks so much,
              Rick

Comment

• RodKirby
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
                • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Thanks again, guys. I'll gladly take the necessary time to adjust it, but when I set it to the highest speed, within 30 seconds the conveyor belt is near the end of the roller. I'm afraid that if I let it keep running, it will begin scraping the edige of the table and/or brackets. I have to stop it, loosen the passive roller, slide the conveyor belt back, re-tighten the passive roller, and start it up again.

I'm curious, does your rubber feed roller have a slight taper on each end, does it have a slight flair on each end, or is it straight across its entire length?

Thanks so much,
                Rick
                WOW! That sure is a lot of movement.

Both my rollers appear to be dead straight.

Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• kwgeorge
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Alvin, TX, USA.

I have had my 10/20 for quite some time now and I have to say that I love it and don’t know what I would do without it. I think it sees use in about every project I do.

I think you have been given good advice but it really sounds like your machine is substantially out of alignment or the other possibility which is the belt is not round but tapered. I think if it were me I would try and start with a baseline. I would adjust the rollers using a ruler till the ends of the parallel rollers were equal distance apart. Then turn the feed on slow and watch to see which way the belt creeps. If it is towards the motor than adjust the roller towards the out feed. If it is towards the edge of the unit than adjust the roller towards you.

My thoughts.

Ken

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Just a thought. Try removing the conveyor belt, clean the rollers good and reverse the belt when you put it back on.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• RickT
                      Established Member
                      • Jun 2003

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try reversing the belt. If it walks the other way, that will tell me it's a belt problem.
                      Rick

Comment

• RickT
                        Established Member
                        • Jun 2003

I tried reversing the belt, but that didn't work either. It still walks to the left (toward the open end of the sander). At least I know the belt must be uniform. With the tension set, I measured from roller to roller and found both ends to be the same distance. So I've concluded the table is flat and square, the feed roller is set to the same distance below and away from the table (within a 1-2 thousandths), the passive roller moves freely, both rollers move evenly. The only question left is the slight taper on the feed roller. But it seems to be tapered evenly on both ends. Why does it consistently pull to the left? I've completely disassembed, reassembed, and aligned my BT3100, which I think is more complex than two rollers and a belt, but I just can't seem to get this drum sander conveyor aligned. I've read reviews that say what an excellent drum sander this is and how easy it is to align the conveyor and how it stays spot on. Are they talking about the same drum sander? Unless anyone has any revelation, I think this one is headed for the return desk. I'm glad Woodcraft has a satisfaction guaranty.
                        Thanks,
                        Rick

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Liberty, SC, USA.
                          • Ridgid TS3650

Rick,
                          Honestly, you've done more tha most customers would trying to get the tool to work. As much of a hassle as it is to return it, I have found that if a power tools has problems from the get-go, there's probably more surprises waiting for you if you should get the conveyor to operate properly. All companies make lemons. I would take it back for a fresh one, you've gone through enough frustration.
                          JMHO

ken

Comment

• RickT
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2003

Thanks, Ken. I agree with you. I've spent many hours with this thing, and I guess it's time to cut my losses. Back it goes. Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.
                            Rick (soon to be drum-sanderless)

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Liberty, SC, USA.
                              • Ridgid TS3650

Thanks, Ken. I agree with you. I've spent many hours with this thing, and I guess it's time to cut my losses. Back it goes. Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.
                              Rick (soon to be drum-sanderless)
                              Nooooooo,
                              Exchange it for a replacement! The next one will be perfect.
                              k

Comment

Working...