• Show
Clear All
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Air leak on Ridgid Framing Nailer pivot fitting

While framing the subfloor of the shed I am building, I was holding a piece of wood in a less than smart manner and managed to nail a finger pretty good with my 28 oz Estwing. I put a red hot needle to the finger nail and relieve the pressure and it doesn't look like I'll loose the nail. However, my finger is out of commission for at least a week.

I decided to head over to the BORG and look at framing nailers. I wound up with the Ridgid CHA350 nailer. There is a $50 rebate and it seemed decent. I nailed down my 3/4 CDX flooring with it and loved it. I many not drive a nail the regular way again! Although my little compressor can't really keep up with me bump nailing too many lines of nails.

This gun comes with a pivot where the air hose connects. That is handy, but it leaks a little in different possitions. It doesn't seem to loose too much pressure, but in some positions it is shooting out a decent amount of air. Is this normal? I don't think it is a bunch of air, but it is a bit. Are there higher quality pivots I can hook up to it?
    Joe Sacher
  • Thom2
    Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
    • Jan 2003
    • Stevens, PA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Personally, I'd just hook up a straight fitting. Milton makes some decent pivot fittings but nearly all the ones I've ever dealt with will still start to leak in a fairly short amount of time.
    If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
    **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Joe,

I don't use a nailer yet, although I recently aquired a straight finish nailer with the purchase of the Ridgid 10" CMS (it was a close out on a combo... both for $135). But, it doesn't seem to me that any air pressure fitting should leak... especially brand new.

You're covered with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee (Ridgid) and a 30 day exchange policy (Home Depot). I think I'd be inclined to return the nailer and get another one. Unless of course, you live 50 miles away or something.

Also, the tool is covered by Ridgid's "Limited Lifetime Service Agreement"... if you register it! So, don't forget to do that. That will cover all wear parts including gaskets, seals, fittings, etc. I don't know how far away from a service center you may be, but it certainly is worth looking into.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• WayneJ
        • Jan 2004
        • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

Home depot sells that fitting. I picked one up about a week ago and so far it don't leak.
        Wayne
        Wayne J

Comment

Working...