• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

guide set for Ridgid 14" band saw

I am thinking of upgrading the guides on my ridgid band saw. So, I have two questions for you Ridgid BS owners out there.

1) Which of the Carter guides fit the Ridgid BS? I assume it is the Jet but want to check first. Here is linky

2) Will the Jet 708127 guides fit the Ridgid BS? They seem to be very similar to the Carter, but $50 cheaper. Here is link

I assume the only issue is the diameter of the guide post? From the Amazon review of the Carter system it seems like it is made for a ~7/8" OD post whereas the jet may be ~3/4" OD. Additional info would be greatly appreciated.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

I can't answer your questions, but as an owner of the Ridgid BS, I am curious. Have you found a need to upgrade? If so, what problems are you experiencing? I would like to look out for the same problems. I haven't had the saw all that long, and have only used it sporadically. I probably know less about tuning it and what problems to look for than any other major piece of equipment.

On the other hand, since I only paid $250 for mine, I would be hard-pressed to slap some $150 guides on it. I will admit though, that I am considering replacing the blocks with some lingum vitae ones made by a guy over on woodnet. He sells tham for $5 shipped.
    John

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I can't answer your questions, either, but FWIW:

My bandsaw is the very popular Grizzly G0555, which comes standard with Carter-style bearing guides. I don't have any complaint with them, per se, but I'm not at all persuaded they're that much of an "upgrade" from conventional block guides. They have their theoretical advantages, but the world is full of bandsaws with block guides that are doing just fine. And bearing guides have disadvantages, too. The blade is not supported as close to the workpiece as with block guides; and you can't fit a blade smaller than 1/8" and use your bandsaw as a pseudo-scrollsaw (and in my experience, even a 1/8" blade can be tricky).

I don't mean to be presumptuous in answering questions you didn't ask, but I would regard a switch to bearing guides as a mostly lateral move with benefits far less than the cost of the kit would seem to suggest.
      Larry

Comment

• gary
        • May 2004
        • Versailles, KY, USA.

I too have a G0555 with "carter" bearing guides and don't see the advandage from them. At times, I wished I'd had cool blocks in mine.
        Gary

Comment

• Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

I have a 14" Jet and am using cool blocks, no complaints. I can't see where bearing guides would be an improvement.
          Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have the HF 14" 4 speed w/ hf roller guides for general cutting and resawing. I purchased the Carter Roller guide for tight radius curve cutting. It makes the bandsaw cut like a scrollsaw but a lot faster.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Rounder
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2003
              • Sanford, FL, USA.
              • BT3100

I have the Rigid bandsaw and use cool blocks on it. So far it has done everything I ahve asked of it.
              George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• dedaddy
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Dallastown, PA, USA.
                • Jet SuperSaw w/sliding table and jointech fence

I have the Ridgid 1400 BS with Carter guides and tension release. I can't say the guides are a big improvement over the stock guides but resawing 10" stock with a good 5/8" blade performs much better with the Carter guides. The tension release is very handy.

Make sure you get the Carter guides that are specifically for the Ridgid 1400 BS. There is a difference that sadly I found out after I purchased a set at a wood show. I was able to get things lined up with a little machining.
                Lee
                =============
                I live in my own little world. That's OK. Everybody there knows me!!

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Washington, NC USA
                  • JET

Lee,

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even know they had ones specifically for Ridgid since I had only ever seen Jet, Delta and Sears. But a check of the Carter website (doh! why didn't I think of that) reveals they have Ridgid specific ones. Thanks.

Jay
                  Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

Working...