• Show
Clear All
  • Handy Al
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Worthington, OH, USA.
    • BT3100

Ryobi router base problem

I was trying to change the base on my ryobi router. Got the D-handle off and was trying to put the fixed base on. The spindle lock pin slid into a slot on the base before I could get the threads started. Now the base will not go up or down and I can't get to the pin to depress it.

any ideas?

Had a hour or so shop time, now it's gone.
    "I'm growing older but not up." Jimmy Buffett
  • Eric
    • Jun 2003
    • Cocolalla, ID
    • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

This has been a problem with the ryobi multi-base routers. Might do a search on the forum and find other people that had the same problem.

Comment

• RHunter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
      • BT3100

OK, been there, done that too...

What I did was to take a Jeweler's Screwdriver and try and wedge it between the spindle lock and the wall of the base- inside the groove it is stuck in. You almost need three hands to do it- especially if you need a Strap Wrench to turn the base- but it can be done. I will admit freely it is a PITA!

I'm not sure if there is a sure fire way to prevent it from happening again - short of replacing the whole thing and leaving the motor in one base- which I am seriously thinking about.

Good luck!
      "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
      "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

• germdoc
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Omaha, NE
        • BT3000--the gray ghost

That is why I do not use the fixed bases anymore. I have the plunge base mounted on the BT3 more or less permanently and have a Bosch for handheld use.

I'm not sure why those fixed bases have had problems, but there's obviously a design flaw there somewhere.
        Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

Been there and done that.... Too MANY times!

So, the biggest challenge is turning the collet shaft to the point where you can pry the pin back out of that groove in the base! If the shaft isn't in the right position to allow the pin to come out you'll give yourself a stroke trying to retract the pin.

I use a small jeweler's screwdriver to wegdge the pin backwards toward the shaft, and at the same time rotate the motor shaft to you feel the pin catch the slot. (Remember, the pin is for locking the shaft in place while you change a bit... so the shaft must be turned until it's locating slot lines up with the pin.) Once you have the shaft in the proper position, the pin can be wedged or pulled back out of that base slot that it is caught in. Still not easy, but unless the shaft is lined up, it will be impossible.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...