• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Storing nailer w/ nose compressed

I have a Ridgid 16 ga 2.5" straight nailer. It didn't come with a storage box and I'd like to keep the dust away. I found a pretty neat box that I'd like to store it in, but its just slightly too small. To fit the nailer, I'd have to compress the nose--I forget the name of it, but its the piece that you press against the workpiece in order to allow the trigger to pull & fire a nail--that safety device w/ the no-mar tip. You know it.

ANYWAY, my question is whether it is a bad idea to store the gun w/ that mechanism compressed... it appears to have one or two springs in it creating the tension... but I am uncertain as to whether storing a spring fully compressed is a bad thing for it or not. My inclination is that it is a bad idea, but I thought I'd ask the experts, I'm sure there are plenty of engineers out there who would know.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • wreckwriter
    Established Member
    • Mar 2006
    • South Florida
    • BT3100-1

My inclination is the same as yours but I also am not certain.
    http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• WayneJ
      • Jan 2004
      • Elmwood Park, New Jersey, USA.

I would'nt think so . When you shut off an engine , some valve springs are in compression. Your lawn mower or snow blower, get stored for a season and are not hurt. If it was for an extended period, maybe. It would'nt bother me but its your call.
      Wayne
      Wayne J

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

A spring that is compressed for a long period of time will eventually loose some of its "spring"! (At the moment, I don't know how else to describe it.) In an engine or other application, the springs are probably of a size that the effect would be negligible and I imagine the same can be said for the nose of the nailer. But, it does happen and how noticable that would be depends on the size and metalurgical quality of the spring.

For example, in a SLR camera, you don't store the camera with the shutter cocked because the spring tension will deteriorate over time and the shutter speed will no longer be accurate... but, the function of the firing mechanism on a nailer isn't nearly so critical.

However, if it is a concern, you can order the case for the nailer (I believe you have described the Ridgid Straight Finish Nailer R250SFA). The case part number is 079003001101 and it sells for $32.93 (1-866-539-1710).

I hope this helps,

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• ted van halen
          Forum Newbie
          • Mar 2006

I use a lot of springs (compression, disc, tension, etc.) at work. You definitely don't want to store it w/ the nose fully compressed. This will put the spring closer to it's maximum stroke & closer to coil bind. Both bad things. If less than half the nose stroke is used to fit it in, you'd more than likely be okay.

Ted

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

What if you cut a hole or what not for the nose to fit into?
            Alex

Comment

• davidtu
              • Apr 2006
              • Seattle, WA
              • BT3100

Thanks to everyone for your insights. Sounds like the general thinking is its not a good idea, so I guess I won't try it.

Btw, cutting a hole in the case would defeat the purpose, which is to keep it in a sealed, protected environment... but I thought about it.

Hmmmmm... $32 for the case seems pretty pricey, I could buy a clamp or something for that much! BUT, thanks for the info on the product number for the case, impressed you were able to find it as I cannot.

I guess I will continue my search for a case that is cheap enough and big enough.

Thanks to all!
              Never met a bargain I didn't like.

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
                • Nov 2004
                • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
                • Delta Contractor Saw

David - I don't know if it would work or not but I have a Porter Cable case that my finish nailer came in that I'm not using. You're welcome to it if you pay shipping. I'm on the road for a couple of more weeks but let me know if you're interested.

Comment

• Wood_workur
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2005
                  • Ohio
                  • Ryobi bt3100-1

Originally posted by davidtu
                  ...Btw, cutting a hole in the case would defeat the purpose, which is to keep it in a sealed, protected environment... but I thought about it....
                  yeah, but make a sealed littler box to cover the hole, so it looks like the box has a tumor.
                  Alex

Comment

Working...