• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Makita LS1040F

does anyboy have any experience with the Makita LS1040F CMS or any other model?

I have a bunch of "points" on my visa card and they have various tools that I can get for "free". This seems to be the best of the bunch (at least that I dont already have) , however, is it worth even owning or not?

The price is right but if its no good I would rather part with cash.

Jon
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • RayintheUK
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2003
    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
    • Ryobi BT3000

You asked about other models and I have the Makita LS1013 sliding CMS, which is excellent. It was spot on right out of the box and remains so after several years of hard use. Soft start, good braking, beautifully constructed and a real pleasure to use.

Although I've not tried the LS1040F, if it's made to the same high standards as my model, you won't go far wrong. It's specification includes:

260mm Blade diameter.
    1650 watts
    4600rpm No load speed
    Bevel cuts up to 45° to the left
    Miter cuts 0-45° left and 0-52° right
    Cutting capacity at 90°/90° 69 x 130mm
    Cutting capacity at 45°/45° 35 x 92mm
    Weight - 11Kg

The differences to mine are, therefore, that it only bevel cuts to the left (no big deal, but means that you have to invert the workpiece on some cuts, which can be confusing and lead to errors)
    45 degree mitre left / 52 degree right, as opposed to 47 degree left / 52 degree right (depending on use, could be a slight disadvantage)
    69 x 130mm instead of 91x305mm at 90°
    35 x 92mm instead of 50x215mm at compound 45° left
    Smaller cutting capacity, as expected, as the 1013 is a slider. Depends what your requirements to capacity are, as to whether this is a deal-breaker.

If you don't have a CMS at the moment, then you can't go wrong with this one as a "starter" - especially at the price! However, only you know whether you need a larger model, which will considerably increase the investment required. My LS1013 was my third mitre saw and knowing what I know now, I should have waited and made it my first.

Ray.
    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...