My compressor won't start - help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    Senior Member
    • May 2003
    • 649
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

    #1

    My compressor won't start - help

    I know ... you get what you pay for.



    My HF 2.5HP compressor has been stuttering for the past couple of weeks. Now it won't start. It tries, then hums, and trips the reset switch. It has had almost no use in the 10 or so months that I have had it.

    Do you know what might be the problem? Could it be a start or run capacitor?

    It is still under warrenty, but I need it for an overdue project, so if it is a simple fix, I won't send it back.

    This is the compressor ...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90385

    And here is a thread about the compressor written earlier today ...
    http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=20706

    Thanks for your help,

    Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie in Orlando; 05-07-2006, 04:06 PM.
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • Crash2510
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2006
    • 830
    • North Central Ohio

    #2
    no need to send it back
    if there is a HF close by take it there and they will exchange it for a new one
    Phil In Ohio
    The basement woodworker

    Comment

    • Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • 1786
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

      #3
      Does it work fine when it's totally empty?

      If it runs fine on the first tank fill from empty and then starts throwin' the reset switch when it tries to cycle with a partially full tank it's probably the unloader valve that checks tank pressure but unloads the feeder tube from the compressor head to the tank, they do this to unload the compressor head and give it some time to freewheel when the motor needs to start back up.

      If it's doing this with an empty tank, my vote would be for a startup cap on the motor.
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

      Comment

      • sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 2873
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

        #4
        If you're using an extension cord with it, that could also be the problem. If you must use one, use the shortest one you can get away with and preferably a 12 guage cord.
        _________________________
        "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

        Comment

        • Tom Miller
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2003
          • 2507
          • Twin Cities, MN
          • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

          #5
          Kind of along the line that Dave is addressing, make sure you have full voltage on that circuit. I recall having trouble with my PC pancake when it was on the same circuit as some fluorescent shop lights. The symptoms were exactly the same; sometimes worked, sometimes hummed then popped the breaker.

          Haven't had a bit of trouble once I gave it its own 15A ckt.

          Regards,
          Tom

          Comment

          • Lonnie in Orlando
            Senior Member
            • May 2003
            • 649
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

            #6
            Well, now I'm REALLY confused

            I made sure that the tank was empty like Thom2 suggested. I turned off all other power in the shop per Sweensdv and Tom Miller -- I don't use an extension cord; its plugged into a 15A circuit. Pulled the switch ... it worked.

            Turned on the normal shop lighting, which is on a separate circuit. Emptied the tank enough to recycle the compressor. It worked again.

            I may try a new start capacitor just for kicks and giggles.

            Crash2510 - this compressor is not available in HF retail stores. It's on line only.

            Thanks for your fast replies. I'm still open to anything else that may solve the problem, short of returning to HF.

            Lonnie
            OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all

            Comment

            • Thom2
              Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
              • Jan 2003
              • 1786
              • Stevens, PA, USA.
              • Craftsman 22124

              #7
              keep testing it ... make note of when it does 'it's thing' ...

              diagnostics is such a fun game .... BTDT ... got the t-shirt
              If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
              **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

              Comment

              Working...