• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

1/2" shank drum sander spindle

Anyone know where I get drum sanding spindles (mandrels) with a 1/2" shaft? I need to be able to chuck them into a drill press and the spindle needs to be long enough to accomodate a ~4" (preferrable 4-1/2") rubber spindle.

The closest thing out there that I have found is Grizzly product H4331. It is described as having a 3/8" shank, but nothing is mentioned about the shaft diameter; from the picture it looks like 1/2" shaft. Anyone out there have this and can comment on the shaft diameter?
    Last edited by jwaterdawg; 05-04-2006, 07:51 AM.
    Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.
  • jwaterdawg
    • Aug 2005
    • Washington, NC USA
    • JET

So, I am now posting a reply to my own query
    I called Grizzly; indeed the shaft of that mandrel is 1/2".

However, if anyone is aware of other similar mandrels I would still be interested. The Grizzly ones may just fit in length but it will be close since the drums/sleeves I have are 4-1/2" whereas the Grizzly mandrel is for a 4-1/4" drum. Thanks.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Nanuet, NY, USA.
      • BT3100

Jay, try this, it comes from Lee Valley. com. I got one and it works great.

Best

Bruce
      Last edited by Bruce Cohen; 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM.
      "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
      Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

Bruce,

Thanks for your post but I am confused about whether that Lee Valley drum kit will work for me. I should probably clarify:

I have a bunch of 4-1/2" rubber drums and sleeves; probably about a dozen drums of various sizes and close to 100 sleeves of different grits/sizes. I got these at a great discount several months ago. The drums all are meant to be mounted on a mandrel with a 1/2" shaft size.
        Thus I need a mandrel or spindle with a 1/2" shaft size, approximately 4-1/2" in length + shank for chucking in a drill press.

So, are you saying that the mandrel (spindle) that comes with that Lee Valley drum will work for me?

Thanks,
        Jay

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Jay,

Sorry, I misunderstood what you wanted. The Lee Valley drum sander takes 3" sandpaper sleeves only. Its a complete unit. I suggest surfing for a dealer that specializes in turning equipment. I know that lathes have shankes and mandrels that could be modified to work with your existing drums.

Possible if you pose the question in the "Turners Forum", you might get a lead on where to get what you're looking for. That is, if it even exists, which it probably does. Have you checked out the entire Lee Valley on-line catalog.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...