• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • burrellski
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Saint Joseph, MO.

HF Jointer Help

As I am spending more time in the shop and producing better projects, I find myself in the market for a jointer......cheap. $200 is the absolute max amount I can spend. I have seen a couple HF jointers in that range on sale with a 20% coupon and I know a few people on here have made positive comments about them. So of these two jointers, which would you reccomend?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=31849

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30289

Is there something else I should be considering? I can't find any of the craftsman jointers mentioned in the bargain alerts within 500 miles of me and the $200 delta benchtop model seems pretty limited in its capacity. Maybe I'm wrong about that though. I've never owned a jointer, so if someone thinks the benchtop would be a better idea for the $, set me straight.

Thanks in advance
    Matt
  • just4funsies
    • Dec 2005
    • Florida.
    • BT3000

Don't go benchtop... too small for any real work. You'll just cuss alot and eventually go buy a floor-stander.
    ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I have the 7" model. It seems to work fine, but it's my first one so what do I know!

I did have to tweak it a bit when I first got it, just to line up the tables properly. I'd think any jointer could get out of adjustment during shipment - these things are heavy!

On the plus side, the HF unit is solid cast iron and very solid.

On the minus side, the fence is tricky to set up, but solid once done. And there's no dust collection, just a chute for dropping chips on the floor. I was able to fabricate a DC port pretty easily.

Good Luck,
      JR
      JR

Comment

• dtam
        Established Member
        • Mar 2006
        • santa clara, CA
        • delta 36-675

I have the 6" HF jointer, and it works fine once everything is setup. I had to shim the tables to get them parallel. The fence is not easy to set up either. I have never seen the 7" model in the retail stores, and the 20% discount is for retail store items only.

Comment

• RHunter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Mechanicsville, VA, USA.
          • BT3100

I have the 30289 that you are looking at, and I can confirm a couple of things.
          • The fence is a pain to align, but once done, why move it?
          • The stand is a pain to assemble, and the directions are almost worthless.
          • There is no dust collection, just the chute, but an adapter caulked on the end will allow you to hook up a DC hose.
          • It weights alot!!! Get a friend to help you mount it on the stand.
          • Build a mobile base with locking casters, assemble the stand right to it, then mount the joiner.
          • The knives are not the greatest, plan on replacing them with some decent knives. (Charles G.G. Schmidt, or Global Tooling have good reviews at Woodnet)
          • You may have to shim the tables to get them planer- mine were fine out of the box- but I understand that is not the norm with HF tools. They occasionally require some tweeking.

All that being said, I am far from a pro, in fact I am almost willing to classify myself as a bad novice- but it does do the job, it's not that expensive, and I don't have to pay for S4S lumber.

Would I take it over an 8" Griz or Powermatic? No way, but at my skill level, it is enough tool to do what I want without breaking the bank.

Once I get better/richer- then I'll look seriously at a decent 8"er.

Hope this helps!
          "You should give blood on a regular basis.."
          "Why I do of course, I'm a woodworker..."

Comment

• burrellski
            Established Member
            • Dec 2005
            • Saint Joseph, MO.

What is the normal sale price for the 6" model in the store?

thanks
            Matt

Comment

• John Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2004
              • Lake Station, IN, USA.
              • BT3000 & BT3100

Originally posted by burrellski
              What is the normal sale price for the 6" model in the store?

thanks
              Matt
              Non sale price for the 6" http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30289 is $289.99 but they go on sale every now ant then. I think I picked mine up locally for around $200 about a year ago.
              John Hunter

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

If you wait for it to go on sale and use a 20% off coupon, you can get it for a good bit less than $200.
                spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

Working...