• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guycox
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Romulak, VA, USA.

Freud JS102 Biscuit Jointer Problems

Brand new -- my Dad gave it to my sister who has let me borrow it. (How may of you guys can borrow tools from your sister?).. I was using it today to build a rack for my chisels. The depth of cut was way off for some #10 biscuits.. I ran through the depth adjust steps in the manual using the #20 setting. I had to back to adjustment screw (stop rod) almost all way so that there are hardly any threads in the locking nut.

Is this normal? Would it be appropriate to knock a 1/16" or so off the stop rod so that I've got threads on the stop rod to work with?
    Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

You might want ask your sister to show you how to properly use her tool before you go and make modifications to it. There have been times when I've read and reread directions and still have difficulty comprehending what they are trying to say. Then, after someone actually shows me what the directions were trying to tell me I suddenly get it.

Comment

• guycox
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Romulak, VA, USA.

She never used it

The tool has never been used. The fences are properly positioned against the work piece (how tough is that) and the hole is tool large --

Although it's the first time I've used a Freud biscuit jointer I've seen 'em use 100 times on the DIY channel..
      Guy Cox

Comment

• RayintheUK
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
        • Ryobi BT3000

A review of this tool here also states a few depth-setting problems (third paragraph), although I suspect that it may be something else. As I understand it, the jointer does the three standard sizes, plus A, B and M depths, each of which are adjustable by a threaded stop rod. This means that the turret has six positions, similar to mine, shown in this picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bj05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	779279

Are you sure that the correct size is really opposite the datum mark when plunging/adjusting? If what you describe means that the stop rod is nearly out of its carrier, something can't be right. Check the revolving turret again - there will be three holes with slightly increasing depth ("0" "10" and "20" sizes), plus at least one through hole. Make sure that the shallowest hole is opposite the rod when "0" is opposite the datum mark. Could be that the indicator sleeve is not correctly aligned - rare, but not impossible. HTH

Ray.
        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• guycox
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Romulak, VA, USA.

Thanks for a reference on the better pix

The biscuit jointer in the article must be the high end model, it appears to have the rack and pinion adjustment for the fence depth -- the JS102 doesn't have the knob and there's no clear indicator marker to reference agains the blurry scale in the sorry casting on this piece of equipment -- I wonder if it's a counterfeit.
          Guy Cox

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Any chance of a picture - that would help a lot in trying to diagnose?

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...