• Show
Clear All
  • Russianwolf
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
    • One of them there Toy saws

cheap framing nailer???

anybody know of a cheap framing nailer? I don't care if it's reconed or new, but looking for something dependable. The cheapest I've found is a Harbor Freight for $60.

I need to finish a deck and am tired of driving screws one by one.
    Mike
    Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.
  • greencat
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Grand Haven Mi

I have the HF framing nailer and am happy with it. Purchased last year to do some deck work and used it last night again with no problems. I screwed in my deck boards because I didn't trust normal nails. If I had shank nails I would skip the screws. The nailer did help do temporary supports while I got items level before I could go back and put in screws. Maybe it was over kill but I would recommend the HF.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

Comment

• wreckwriter
      Established Member
      • Mar 2006
      • South Florida
      • BT3100-1

I prefer screws in a deck due to nails working up eventually. How about one of these new gadgets: http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...ProductID=9460
      http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

One of those gadgets the wreckwriter referred to is available from Amazon.com (ASF100EX) for $49.95.
        Holds 20 screws at one load, not too bad, if it works.
        Here's the scoop: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• wreckwriter
          Established Member
          • Mar 2006
          • South Florida
          • BT3100-1

Originally posted by gmack5
          One of those gadgets the wreckwriter referred to is available from Amazon.com (ASF100EX) for $49.95.
          Holds 20 screws at one load, not too bad, if it works.
          Here's the scoop: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013
          Yea, that's the trick: if it works.

I've seen them in Lowes but never seen one in use. seems a good idea though.
          http://www.wreckwriter.com/

Comment

• Shipwreck
            Forum Newbie
            • Mar 2005

Framing nailer?

Originally posted by Russianwolf
            anybody know of a cheap framing nailer? I don't care if it's reconed or new, but looking for something dependable. The cheapest I've found is a Harbor Freight for $60.

I need to finish a deck and am tired of driving screws one by one.

Even the best deck nails, shanked or not will be a problem in the future. Teflon coated screws are the way to go. Nails are fine for a production guy who has to do 3-4 decks a week, but for some one who wants quality and tight boards................... he should use a good deck screw.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • York, PA, USA.

I have used the HF 21 Degree 10 gauge nail gun quite a bit in last couple weeks. Only problem is that about every 3-4 sticks of nails the last 2 will not fire and I must take them out. I have no idea what is causing this but really wasn't that bothered by it.
              However, I would stick with premium screws. Square head or star head are the easiest to use. Improved Phillips head is ok. Regular phillips takes too much work.

Comment

• Crash2510
                • Feb 2006
                • North Central Ohio

have the 6 in 1 framing nailer from HF have only put a couple hundred nails through it but it works great only complaint is that it is very heavy
                Phil In Ohio
                The basement woodworker

Comment

• agent511
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2005
                  • Philadelphia
                  • TS3650

If you are looking for a cheap framing nailer, I don't think you will find one in the universe cheaper than Harbor freight. And they work remarkedly well.

But as far as decks, regular nails - or regular screws - are not used because they will rust and ruin the deck. You need special nails or screws - either galvanized dipped nails or stainless screws for example. Someone mentioned teflon coated screws - I am not familiar with them but if they are rustproof then that is another to add to the list.

Do they make rustproof nails for pneumatic framers? I don't think so, but I could be wrong.
                  darksider

Comment

• ExYankee
                    Established Member
                    • Mar 2005
                    • Pleasant View, Tn.
                    • BT3100-frankensaw

I have one of the B&D screw feeders and it works GREAT, I was doing hardi-backer on the floor and was dying even with the gel pads so I went and got one. The only down side was it would not take the hardi screws( too big a head) but the coated square drive deck screws feed wonderfully, I thought it would be a hassle but it just keep feeding and driving screws
                    John Dyer
                    ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

anyone remember some fancy trick they did on this old house? You couldnt even see the screws and it automatically spaced the boards with the same gap. I thought it was pretty cool when I saw it but cant think of what they actually did. I think it was Tom Silva doing it.
                      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• BizCoach
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2004
                        • Milford, CT.

There are two cheap HF framing nailers - this one one has variable angle and no depth control

This one is fixed at 21 degrees and has depth control.

What are the pros and cons of depth control?
                        www.CEOBootCamp.com
                        Tools to help you run your business better

Comment

Working...