• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sbilbrey
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2006

Hvlp???

Hi,

First time poster. I have been woodworking for a number of years. Now getting into some larger projects, considering spray finishing systems. Looking for recommendations. I would be finishing things like cabinet doors, as many as 12 at a time. Figuring on applying any stains by hand. Looking for a spray system for Poly only. I have a pancake type air compressor.

Don't want to spend a lot of money, but also don't want to buy something I am going to be disappointed with. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

a pancake typ compressor isn't going to be able to keep up with the air demand of any type of paint sprayer except an air brush.
    Having said that many of us here are pleased with the results we have gotten with Harbor Freight's HVLP turbine sprayer kit. It is often on sale for $70 and with a 20% off coupon $56 is a great deal.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• scorrpio
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • Wayne, NJ, USA.

I believe latest 'WOOD' had a nice feature on them, with tips on use, and compared like 8 different systems.

A compressor delivers fairly low volume of air at high pressure - exactly the opposite of what you need. HVLP systems include special turbines that can deliver sustained large volume of air. These turbines usually filter the air so it does not contaminate your finish.

The 'WOOD' article had two $200 systems on the low budget end, and they did not have much good to say about them. A quality system is more like $800.

Comment

• sacherjj
        Not Your Average Joe
        • Dec 2005
        • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by maxparot
        a pancake typ compressor isn't going to be able to keep up with the air demand of any type of paint sprayer except an air brush.
        Having said that many of us here are pleased with the results we have gotten with Harbor Freight's HVLP turbine sprayer kit. It is often on sale for $70 and with a 20% off coupon $56 is a great deal.
        Is the model you are referring to the 44677?
        Joe Sacher

Comment

• maxparot
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
          • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Originally posted by sacherjj
          Is the model you are referring to the 44677?
          Yes that's the one just not the lowest sale price we see it for.
          Opinions are like gas;
          I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Brian G
            • Jun 2003
            • Bloomington, Minnesota.
            • G0899

I wonder whether Rockler is aware that HF is selling the same thing.

Rockler's version

It looks like HF's manual is better than the Rockler manual.
            Brian

Comment

• sbilbrey
              Forum Newbie
              • Apr 2006

What kind of work are you doing with the HF sprayer? Seems like a real good deal. I am looking to do poly finishes only (will still apply any stain by hand) probably nothing more than a cabinet or two at a time.

Thanks for the advice,
              Sam

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

Sam, the HF sprayer works extremely well on low viscosity liquids like poly or shellac-based primer. It has a harder job with higher viscosities like latex paint, unless it's diluted down enough with Flotrol and water that you end up needing multiple coats, and even then the sputtering can be irksome.

I wish some of these reviewers would include the HF (or other such low-end items). Sure, I know that the $800 sprayers are better. But if the HF is far worse than the $200 ones, and the $200 ones are inadequate for the kinds of things I want to do, I'd not bother with any of them. As it is, hope springs eternal . . . HF = "hope full"?
                - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• onedash
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2005
                  • Maryland
                  • Craftsman 22124

Use wipe on poly. Its awsome. Since I have used it I have never used the regular brush on poly and dont think I ever will.
                  no bubbles dries fast. cant say enough good things about it. Im sure it takes more coats but id rather do that and have a nice finish than less coats and a less than perfect finish.
                  YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...