• Show
Clear All
  • venkatbo
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Cupertino, CA, USA.

Disc sander (shop built)

Hi folks,

I've read in a book that it is possible to build a disk sander using a used motor and some wood work... If so, what type/rating motor would be useful for such a project.

Also, is there anyway one could build an edge sander too, using a recycled motor, etc. Would the motor from an old TS or some such tool be useful for this ?

Thanks,
    /venkat
  • mschrank
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Hood River, OR, USA.
    • BT3000

I was just considering this yesterday while thumbing through the latest Woodworkers Supply catalog. It shows the DELTA® Model 31-120 12" disc sander uses a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm motor.

A few pages back in the catalog, I see they sell a motor with those same specs for $87.99.

Let me know if you come across some plans to build a disc sander. I'm sure there's been one in ShopNotes at one time....
    Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

• venkatbo
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Cupertino, CA, USA.

I was seeing some old TS's on craiglist that go for ~$50...so thought it may be more cost-effective recycling those old motors...

I saw the plan at the library (don't recall which mag/issue) to build a disc sander... but was more keen on building the edge sander, especially since it would accomodate edges that we longer than 12" (unlike the dis-sander). Thought could build an inexpensive edge sander for panels.

/venkat

Comment

• jwaterdawg
        • Aug 2005
        • Washington, NC USA
        • JET

I've seen plans for making a double headed disc sander in an old FWW book named "Making and Modifying Machines".
        Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• ejs1097
          Established Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.

If you're looking for a salvaged motor, try a clothes dryer motor or something like that. Maybe you can pick one up from a friend who is replacing the dryer and the motor still works....A good place to start anyway. A friend of mine built a drum sander with one. works pretty good.
          Eric
          Be Kind Online

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I have been thinking about an edge sander, too. May have a line on a free motor from a treadmill. Don't know if he has any of the rest of the machine or not.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Jim Boyd
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

Shop Notes has some plans for a belt sander. Just lengthen the plans for an edge sander.
              Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• ExYankee
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pleasant View, Tn.
                • BT3100-frankensaw

I have had luck buying HF store returns from two eBay vendors and then fixing or ignoring what doesn’t work
                I bought a 6x48 belt sand for 40ish bucks including shipping and had to but a new drive shack for 8 bucks from HF customer service. There is a 4x36 with 6" disc right now for 9.99 and $40 S&H so that’s a bit step (its $90 list) but if you can find the bigger 6x48 one its a great deal. Another option is a grinder and slap a home made disc on it
                A bit of warning I've spent some time in there warehouse and this stuff come in by the pallet and a tech plugs it in, and if it moves it’s described as "works great"

http://stores.ebay.com/Biddin-Time_W...Q3amesstQQtZkm

http://stores.ebay.com/TotalCloseout...Q3amesstQQtZkm
                John Dyer
                ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

Working...