• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marred
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2006
    • Montebello, California, USA.

Freud raised panel bits

Newbie question. I'm looking for some good quality raised panel bits with undercutter and came across the Freud bits, but I noticed that they don't have a bearing between the undercutter and the panel bit while others do, such as the CMT bits. Is the bearing necessary or better or not important.
    Thanks in advance...
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Is there a bearing on the top?
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• RayintheUK
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2003
      • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Marred
      Is the bearing necessary or better or not important.
      Thanks in advance...
      Good question - my CMT set has bearings, but even with bearings, I still use my fence to take more than one pass when using an undercutting set. The last pass uses the bearing and the depth of the rebate on the panel is set by this.

I guess that there would be little, if any, difference in using the Frued set without the bearing, although I would definitely take multiple passes and creep up on the final pass. The only problem I can forsee is the posssibility of burning if passed too slowly, but the burning would take place against the shaft and the thickness of the rebate - not a piece of the panel that would ever be seen when assembled, as it's buried in the groove of the rails and stiles.

Hopefully, someone who actually uses the Frued set will be along with a more useful opinion.

Ray.
      Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Holbren
        • Oct 2004
        • Heathrow, FL.

Freud has that design patented or patent pending. Their sell is you get a full 1-1/2" reveal on the panel. They say that center section is the bearing and I guess with the help of a fence you can get by without a bearing.

Freud has always made good products so I'm sure it must work.
        Brian
        Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
        "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
        www.holbren.com

Comment

• Marred
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2006

Panel reveal

Their sell is you get a full 1-1/2" reveal on the panel.

Thanks guys for the info. If the Freud gives a full 1-1/2" reveal, how much less of a reveal do you get with the bearing, such as the CMT Sommerfeld?
          I've narrowed the choices to Freud or CMT.

Comment

• just4funsies
            • Dec 2005
            • Florida.
            • BT3000

One other thing to think about is that, since the logical place for the bearing is between the upper and lower cutter (this is the only place the profile maintains its original edge), the only way to do this is to make the shank thinner at this point, and therefore less stable and less strong than a full 1/2" shank would be. Ray is correct that any friction burning would be on the edge only, and this could probably be minimized by controlling the feed rate and using a sharp cutter.
            ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

• Holbren
              • Oct 2004
              • Heathrow, FL.

Looks like the CMT gives you 1-1/4" on 3/4" stock. I thing Freud is making this a bigger deal than it should be because they have a product nobody else can sell. Panel bits with bearings have been around a long time.
              Brian
              Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
              "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
              www.holbren.com

Comment

• Marred
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2006

I'd like to thank all you guys for the info. I guess the last question I have is what bits do you guys recommend or prefer for raised panels? Manufacturer, backcutter or not, ogee, straight, cove?

Comment

• meika123
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Advance, NC, USA.
                  • BT3000

I'm using the MLCS bits, w/o the undercutter, just my preference. They work great, and the price is right. Since I'm using them on a dedicated router table, (Only way I'd use this Monster bit) the bearing is a moot point for me.

Dave in NC
                  Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

Working...