• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip C
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2004
    • Rowley, MA.

needing a new 1/2" collet

I recently picked up a Craftsman router at a Sears service store. 2 HP, variable speed sells for $109 new and was priced at $29.99 refurbished (altho it looks brand new) and was further marked down to $19.99. HOw could I pass up a $20 router? The manual said it included a 1/4" and 1/2" collets but only the 1/4" was included in the deal so I had the clerk look up the price of the 1/2" collet (& nut) and it was $44!! Just to double check the pricing , she checked the price of the 1/4" collet and it was $27.

Do all routers use the same thread size on their collets? Would they be interchangeable? $10 - $20 would seem like a reasonable price but not $44. Any suggestions on how or where to get 1/2" capability out of this router w/o tripling the cost of the router?

Skip
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Ridiculous.

Unfortunately, this may be an example of one reason power tools with the name "Craftsman" on them are usually best avoided (an exception would be something like the current Craftsman-labeled router kit that is a Bosch wearing red paint). The purchase price is attractive, but then they stick it to ya when you need parts.

To answer your question, router collets are typically proprietary designs and if you find another brand that'll fit, it'll be sheer coincidence. I can also tell you that a Porter-Cable self-releasing three-piece collet, considered the best design in the industry, costs around ten bucks.
    Larry

Comment

Working...