What's a good price for a used Ridgid JP0610 jointer?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uglystick
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Garland, TX, USA
    • Ridgid R4511 Granite top

Hi guys,

I have a lead on one ~1yr old, supposedly used only once (they need more space now) - asking price is $300. I figure I can get a new one for that: selling for $350 - 20% coupon + 8.25% tax = $303 with warranty, return policy, etc.

I haven't seen it yet to check the tables, blades, & fence, but wanted a realistic idea of what to offer with some justification in case it looks good.

Thanks for any inputs!
    -Kendall
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I'd think $200-$250 would be a reasonable used price depending on condition and extras. The rule of thumb is broad, but usually ~ 40%-75% of new.

I suppose the most important thing is that both parties are satisfied.
    Last edited by Knottscott; 03-23-2006, 08:55 PM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

I would shoot for $225. Thats a long way from $300. You may have to go $250.
      spellling champion Lexington region 1982

Comment

• jdschulteis
        Established Member
        • Mar 2003
        • Muskego, Wisconsin, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

If you'd rather be jointing wood than assembling a machine, don't forget to factor in 1-2 hours of assembly time if you get a new one.

I wouldn't go over $250 for the used one, even if it is mint.
        Jerry

Comment

• JAWS4038
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2003
          • St. Louis.

If you have a Cummins near by try them. they usually have recon's for 289-299. Which didn't make sense if a new one is about $50 more or 2 or 3 dollars more if you have a HD coupon. And JD putting it together is half the fun. At the least you can see how everything goes together if you have a problem later like with the motor or belt. my 2 cents.
          Where ever you go...........there you are!
          J. Seinfeld.

Comment

• coach
            Established Member
            • Jan 2005
            • Forney, TX.
            • Powermatic 66

I sold mine to a fellow member last fall for under $250 with the mobile base. I felt like it was a fair price for a machine that had seen very little use and no abuse. I don't even think the blades needed sharpening yet. I sold it because I found a deal on a used JET and I only paid $300 for it with an extra set of knives.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• uglystick
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Garland, TX, USA

Thanks for the advice guys. It sounds like the seller found somebody willing to pay $265 for the jointer. Good for him! I'll just keep looking.

I'm not aware of a Cummins in the DFW area either.
              -Kendall

Comment

• uglystick
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006
                • Garland, TX, USA

I got a new one instead

I couldn't wait any longer, so I got a new JP06101 at HD today with a HF 20% ($302). The assembled beast is now sitting in my garage workshop waiting to make sawdust. Thanks again for the advice on the used price.
                -Kendall

Comment

• ryan.s
                  • Feb 2006
                  • So Cal
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by jdschulteis
                  If you'd rather be jointing wood than assembling a machine, don't forget to factor in 1-2 hours of assembly time if you get a new one.

I wouldn't go over $250 for the used one, even if it is mint.
                  Even if I was already assembled I would probably want to almost disassemble it and put it back together so that I would know it was put together properly. Especially the setting of the fences and tables. Maybe I'm crazy but I guess I enjoy it more than others.

Comment

• jbalders
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2003
                    • Vienna, VA, USA.
                    • BT3100 + Shopsmith

Originally posted by ryan.s
                    Even if I was already assembled I would probably want to almost disassemble it and put it back together so that I would know it was put together properly. Especially the setting of the fences and tables. Maybe I'm crazy but I guess I enjoy it more than others.
                    Crazy or not, I agree. I actually look forward to assembling my new toys tools. I even enjoy assembling my sons' toys.

I'm not certain I would tear it apart, but I definitely would walk through the setup to make sure that everything was, in fact, set up correctly.
                    Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

Working...