X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ted van halen
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2006

Quick band saw advice...please

Been lurking a while & decided I needed to post when I bought a Ridgid BS1400 band saw 03.07.06. I then found a thread here where no good thing was said about it. It's still in the box so I don't have any problem taking it back. Should I? Noted problems were motor reliability & vibration thru the stand. The motor is spec'd as 3/4 horse at 15 amps. That was one reason I bought it was the high amp rating being one of the higher of saws in my range(4 bills would be absolute tops). Sears, HD & Lowe's are my only real options for dealers.

I also noticed that among all the recommended saws in the other thread that Delta was not mentioned. Why?

TIA,
    Ted
  • Jes Pidlin
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2004
    • Long Island, Virginia.

Can't give you first-hand advise on the Rigid BS, but you should have a period of time that you can return it (30 days or maybe more). I think what I'd do is set it up and use it extensively before the return time limit expires. I'd get it adjusted according to the manual, and cut different types of wood and different thicknesses and see if you are satisfied. If you don't like it, load er up and take er back.

Sometimes feedback is biased because some people expect Cadillac results from a Chevy - and I have always owned Chevys. I've got several Harbor Freight machines (Band saw is one) and a Craftsman table saw, all of which I am perfectly satisfied with, but all have received poor feedback at times.

"Some of us are woodworkers, and some are tool collectors."

Hope it works out...
    Last edited by Jes Pidlin; 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM.
    Y'all have a gooden...jes

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

I too would set it up before taking back. Mine had an issue or two and was easy enough to get right. The one right out of the box was having to add a washer behind the lower wheel to make it coplaner to the upper wheel. After I added the risor block I WANTED MORE POWER, GRRR! I added a 2hp motor. The oem motor was fine but I had a testosterone problem at the time
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Uncle Hook
        Established Member
        • Apr 2005
        • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Fine Woodworking Magazine rated the Rigid BS-1400 model as "Best Value Choice" among 14 inch bandsaws in their 2005 Tool Guide. They were impressed with how well the Rigid scored on several tests including: fast blade changing speed, blade tension, perfect wheel alignment, and overall fit and finish. A Rip fence is seperately available, but it was described as having limited drift adjustment capabilities.

All of the saws reviewed by FW were able to handle the resaw and curve cutting tests without serious problems. The only limitation of the 3/4 hp Rigid was being unable to cut as fast as the more expensive 1 1/2 hp saws.

In the same issue, the Delta 28-248 was listed as "Best Overall Choice". However, the price for the Delta model was listed at $1000 vs $379 for the Rigid.

I would be inclined to give the Rigid a try. For the money, it sounds like a very good saw. Let us know how you like it, if you decide to kep the saw.

Comment

• scorrpio
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Wayne, NJ, USA.

Be sure to get a good book on bandsaw using - like 'the bandsaw handbook' - about $13 on amazon. Most budget priced bandsaws need some tuning (wheel alignment, balancing, tension etc) Also, most budget bandsaws include a real crappy (stamped) blade. Try the saw with a good blade - like timberwolf.

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

If you do a littl e looking, the saw that most of us own and that this site gets it's name from get some of the worst reviews in the world on other sites. It's still a pretty nifty saw, but others are biased towards whatever they might own and have spent $1000's for.

Same is the case with most tools.

My charge will be the same that I give anyone who questions the BT3k. Take your Ridgid out of the box and try it. If you don't like it, take it back. If you do like it, make beautiful sawdust together. No one can decide what tool is best for you except you. but you won't know if you don't try it.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Scottydont
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Edmonds, WA, USA.
              • Delta Industrial Hybrid

I used to own a Rigid. My only complaint was the cheesy motor mount setup. Otherwise it is pretty good. If I where to do it again, I would do the Grizzly 0555. Better guides and fence which would be extra on the Rigid. I don't think the Rigid is a bad choice, but the Griz is a better one IMHO.
              Scott
              "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• jwaterdawg
                • Aug 2005
                • Washington, NC USA
                • JET

I have the ridgid with 6" riser (from Grizzly) and it has performed well. I don't do a lot of resawing, but when I have there has been no real problems. But you should definitely get a good blade, especially for resawing. I don't like the motor mount either, but for the $ I can live with it. Also, check out the warranty on models you are considering; the Ridgid warranty is much better than any others out there IMHO.....

PS: The kreg BS fence is a nice add-on that easily adjusts for blade drift.
                Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• ted van halen
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Russianwolf
                  If you do a littl e looking, the saw that most of us own and that this site gets it's name from get some of the worst reviews in the world on other sites. It's still a pretty nifty saw, but others are biased towards whatever they might own and have spent $1000's for.

Same is the case with most tools.

My charge will be the same that I give anyone who questions the BT3k. Take your Ridgid out of the box and try it. If you don't like it, take it back. If you do like it, make beautiful sawdust together. No one can decide what tool is best for you except you. but you won't know if you don't try it.
                  I have a BT3XX so I am quite aware of the anti-BT3X bias that exists. The remarks that concerned me were from some of you guys who, best I can tell have done their homework. I am "BRAND NEW" to WW so I am basing a lot of my opinion from others (your) experiences.

Comment

• maxparot
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The Ridgid bandsaw is in a group of 14" bandsaws that are all basically the same with minor variations. There is nothing wrong with it! It is a vary capable saw. If the price you paid made it a good deal stick with it. I also have a HF 4 speed bandsaw. It is amoung the cheapest of the group when on sale and with coupon. It can be made to work every bit as good as the other brand saws of it's style. The difference is some extras on the other saws. If you want to save a few bux you can, do without them or add them yourself. If you must have them all right off purchase a saw with them included to begin with and save the time and effort associated with installing them yourself.
                    Opinions are like gas;
                    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• drumpriest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                      • Powermatic PM 2000

Really this is a price/performance question, and it depends upon what you are going to do with the bandsaw. I looked hard at the Ridgid, and decided against it. I wound up going with the new euro craftsman, and I've been happy with it, I got mine for ~380$. I'm sure that the Ridgid will work fine as a bandsaw, do I think it'll work as well as the craftsman?? Obviously not, or I would have bought the Ridgid.

If I were you, I'd go look at some other saws in the next couple of days. Unfortunately you can't probably go and LOOK at the Griz, unless you happen to be close to one (not many are). See how the fit and finish compare with the Ridgid that you looked at, and go from there.
                      Keith Z. Leonard
                      Go Steelers!

Comment

• Rounder
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Sanford, FL, USA.
                        • BT3100

I had been saving up for the Grizzly bandsaw, when the LOMl gave me the Rigid 1400 as a gift. Mine is the old model and not the one woth orange paint. I added the riser kit, added the fast trak fence that was on close out (I love the bargain area of this forum), ordered several blades from Suffolk, and have not had a problem with it. I have done resawing, circles and curves.

Sure I would have rather had the Grizzly, but the saw has done everything I have wanted it to do. So set it up and try it out, then make your decision.

I am going to replace my BT3100 (for the Sears cabinet saw) before I replace the Rigid.
                        George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• ted van halen
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Mar 2006

well, after much thought & consideration pondering the very helpful advice from you guys(thanks a ton!!), I decided to return the Rigid saw un-opened & have ordered the 12" Craftsman that is on sale thru tomorrow for $279. No small part of my decision was the need for a rip fence right away & I don't have the extra bill+ it would take to get it on there. I know I could fab something but it would not be near the accuracy I want. I am new to this woodworking thing & I am hoping that the little extra accuracy up front will help to compensate for my as yet un-developed abilities. At any rate, thanks a lot. I think I'll stick around a while.

ted

Comment

• jonathan55
                            Established Member
                            • Jun 2005
                            • Cleveland, Ohio, USA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
                            I The one right out of the box was having to add a washer behind the lower wheel to make it coplaner to the upper wheel.
                            Any problems adding the washer? I seem to have the same problem, the blade tracks near the edge of the wheel closer to the door when it is tracking in the center on the top.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2003
                              • Benbrook, TX.
                              • Emerson-built Craftsman

Been using mine for 2 years now and love it. I don't have a TS, so it gets lots of use. I've added the riser block (thanks to a BT member, got an HD closeout), cool blocks, and my homemade fence and mobile base (the latter soon to be replaced with a Herculift).

Mine was a floor/demo unit, one of the old grey ones that I snagged when HD closed them out. My only issues were that the upper cabinet was out of line and almost hit the rear top wheel till I bent it back a little, and the tension adjustment unit hangs on the upper cabinet and cant be fully detensioned unless I push it away from the cabinet with a screwdriver. Also haven't had much problem with blade drift so long as I keep a good blade on it and track it to center of the top wheel, though for some reason when I mount and tension a blade and adjust the guide blocks, I can twist the blade to the right with my fingers pretty easily (not to the left). I run the cool blocks as close as possible without causing deflection, then take the blocks out & flatten the faces periodically (will probably need new ones soon.)

Consumer-grade 14" bandsaws are finicky critters, there's not a one of them that doesn't need lots of adjustment and maybe a few upgrades. But for the price, I'm very happy. Unless you're gonna add a riser and resaw 6" or more, the motor is fine. I really don't know why we need more than 6" resaw capacity, anyway, when most of us only have 6" jointers. I've never gone over that, and I like to saw veneers.

Comment

Working...