• Show
Clear All
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Choice of 2 Scrollsaws?

I have a choice to make between a Ridgid 16" VS Scrollsaw that I've had a couple of years and a new in the box Delta SS250 which is also a 16" VS The main difference I can see from the specs is the Delta has a 2.0 amp motor to the Ridgid's 1.6 amp.
    The Ridgid works well and hasn't had any problems I just happened by the Delta for a song figuring I'd keep the better of the 2 and sell the other off.
    Anyone with any experience with the SS250 that has any comments?
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I used a Delta 250 for a year or so before I bought a Dewalt 788. The Delta was a good little saw. It comes with a quick clamp on the top and, while it takes an allen wrench on the bottom clamp, that's really no big deal. It cut well and was reasonbly low in vibration. The only real downside I found with it was the sawdust blower which was near worthless. I ended up adding an aquarium pump for an air source and it worked pretty well. If I were looking for a scrollsaw for less than $100, the 250 would be high on my list.
    Hope that helps.
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• sacherjj
      Not Your Average Joe
      • Dec 2005
      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I purchased the Delta SS250 with the same Amazon coupon deal for $9. The forward and back motion of the blade was too much for me. I want to be able to cut very intricate designs accurately (gears for wood clocks, intricate Intarsia, etc.) and I couldn't with the Delta. It is becoming a gift for my Brother-in-law. My sister can't afford too much, so the price is right for her. It will be great for them and their two boys. I purchased the Dewalt 788. No comparison. The blower actually works. Almost no vibration, except near the high range when you hit the harmonics of the machine. But it was $280 with discounts from Amazon.

If you are considering serious scroll work in the future, I would sell both and get the Dewalt. But that would still make the Dewalt $150 or more. Otherwise, if your Ridgid doesn't have much forward and back motion (you can see this as blur) when the blade goes up and down, keep that and sell the Delta. If the Delta is better, sell the Ridgid. Other than a "backup", I don't see a reason to keep both. By design, the blades should be quick to change on a SS. This means that keeping two setup with different blades isn't reall worthwhile. Although it might be beneficial to keep one setup with a blade and the other with a scroll sanding strip? I don't know.
      Last edited by sacherjj; 03-08-2006, 08:41 AM.
      Joe Sacher

Comment

Working...