• Show
Clear All
  • Wood_workur
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2005
    • Ohio
    • Ryobi bt3100-1

bandsaw blades

Are timberwolf blades worth the extra money over olson blades?
    Alex
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Not sure what "extra money" you're talking about, but the Timberwolf blades are very good. I think the last time I bought them, the cost per blade was ~$17, considering you can usually get four for the price of three at Suffolk.

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Thom2
      Resident BT3Central Research Ass.
      • Jan 2003
      • Stevens, PA, USA.
      • Craftsman 22124

haven't tried Olson's ..... and you won't talk me into it either ...... the performance I've gotten from timberwolves is excellent and I have no reason to even consider buying another brand.

btw: Tom's right, timberwolves are about as reasonably priced as a performance blade can be
      If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!!!... but you can always 'hop it up'
      **one and only purchaser of a BT3C official thong**

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by Thom2
        haven't tried Olson's ..... and you won't talk me into it either ...... the performance I've gotten from timberwolves is excellent and I have no reason to even consider buying another brand.

btw: Tom's right, timberwolves are about as reasonably priced as a performance blade can be
        I'm another huge TW fan. No other blade for me!

Well, until now. I haven't been thrilled with the results when resawing on my HF BS even using blades recommended by Suffolk.
        For a year or so I have been pondering the Woodslicer resaw blade by Highland Hardware. The $30 price is what has stopped me from getting one, can't be better than TW!
        Well, with some resawing coming up I ordered one. This is one wood munching resaw blade. I can't describe how easily the HF BS sliced the 5 1/2" Maple and Walnut. Yesterday I converted an 8 ft. long Cedar 4 X 4 into 5/4 30" long boards in a matter of minutes.
        I'll still use TW for daily use but for resawing the Woodslicer will be hanging by the bandsaw.
        As for Olson, I have found the 3/16 10 tpi very good for tight curves on bandsaw boxes, but the larger ones haven't been so good.

ken

Comment

• John Hunter
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Lake Station, IN, USA.
          • BT3000 & BT3100

I love my Timberwolf blades!
          John Hunter

Comment

• Wood_workur
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2005
            • Ohio
            • Ryobi bt3100-1

It's settled. Timberwolf all the way.

Thanks.
            Alex

Comment

• maxparot
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
              • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Anyone besides me that has tried Carter Blades? I have been using them on my HF bandsaw and am happy with the results but I don't have anything to compare them to except the stock blade and we all know that is junk.
              Opinions are like gas;
              I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• drumpriest
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                • Powermatic PM 2000

I have used both timberwolf and olsen blades on my band saw. I now use timberwolf mostly because there is a close by welding facility, and my blade length is an odd size. Both have cut extremely well for me, but I can't find Olsen blades locally in that length. (99 3/4")
                Keith Z. Leonard
                Go Steelers!

Comment

• Jim Ketron
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Weber City, Va, USA.

I would rather buy 2 Olsons than one TW, I have both and I get about the same amount of cuts with each. and I have cut a huge amount of Bowl blanks.
                  JMO
                  (Have Chainsaw-Will Travel) please visit my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~jimandkrista/

Comment

• brumere
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Thousand Oaks, CA, USA.
                    • 1968 Rockwell 12/14 Tilting arbor saw

The April '04 Fine Woodworking magazine did a test of 1/2 band saw blades for a 14" bandsaw. While there was no definative table of results there were some clear standouts:

The woodslicer from Highland Hardware was easily the all around winner. ($30)

The Delta Platinum pro I would interperit as second ($25)

The best value blade would be the BC Saw blade ($10). The BC saw blade outscored the Timberwolves in Flatness of cut (Excellent vs Very good), Smoothness of cut (Good vs fair) but trailed the Timberwoolf in speed of cut (Good vs Very good).
                    www.bcsaw.com
                    Deep in the Darkside

Comment

• wassaw998
                      • Jul 2004
                      • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Ken,

Iturra Designs sells the WoodSlicer under a different name (BladeRunner / II) for like 10 bucks cheeper the HH, cost me $20 bucks for one blade (for my 14" BS - they recommended the 5/8" wide blade which I got ) . Regarding TW, I have never tried 'em, in fact, I have had real nice perf out of the run of the mill Starrett blades I get locally (Redmonds) that I never considered something else , but I have heard glowing comments on TW's from tons of folks. Guess I am not that pickey !
                      Chris

Comment

Working...