• Show
Clear All
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Plunge Router Vacumn Base

I designed this base to use with my Ryobi 1803 plunge router, but the same concept should work with any plunge router. The only drawback is that you lose 1/2" of plunge depth to get the vac attachment. This base replaces the factory plastic base that came with the plunge base. It attaches with the same mounting holes as the original base plate, but you will need to use 1/2" longer screws to mount it. This base does not get 100% of the chips, but it gets a lot of them. Given what a router produces, this is definately a help.
    The attached diagram is the drawing I made to use as glue on patterns to cut the parts out. I used .010 acrylic plastic scraps from the local hardware store for the top and bottom of the base. The center piece was cut from some maple planed to .020 less than 1/2". I would make the holes in the cover plates less than the 3" shown on the drawing to increase the chip flow inside the base, probably 2" to 2 1/4". The vac hose attachment pipe is sized for my Bosh 16' vac hose, so this piece needs to be resized for the particular hose you have. The vac port was positioned to clear the left hand handle on my router and the mounting is such that it does not stick out in front of the router to allow you to butt up against a stop fence. Cut all three pieces out and sand the inner edges smooth, especially the center part. Then screw the plates to the center part with some small countersunk FH wood screws (like #4s). Then sand the outer edge smooth and flush. Sorry, I don't have a picture of the finished base.
    Attached Files
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”
  • Bollox
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.

Cool idea Jim.
    Like I need another project to think about....

Mike

Comment

Working...