HF Dovetail Notes

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zootroy
    Established Member
    • Oct 2005
    • 321
    • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

    #1

    HF Dovetail Notes

    I made my first clean dovetails using the HF 34102 jig tonight. Thought I'd post my notes so that it is less painful for the next person.

    the pic is a bit blurry but the joint is nice and clean. Just some scrap wood.


    I am using a Bosch 1617 router with plunge base. I picked up a Whiteside D14-50 1/2" 14d bit from Router Bit World for $11.09 shipping/tax included. I may pick up a few more at that price. It's a nice bit.

    I used the Woodstock D2796 manual for most of the setup. The items that differ are the router bit depth. The manual states that the bit depth should be 9/16" from the base. I found that 9/16 was too loose. I set it to 21/32" and the fit was snug. Had to give it one good whack with the deadblow. The second diff is the fence depth chart. I found that I had to subtract 1/8" from the quoted fence depth.

    I took about 8 practice runs before I got it right, but it wasn't that tough. I think the HF jig is worth every cent of the $24 that I paid. I also think that the Whiteside bit is worth every cent. I started out with a cheaper bit and it burned out pretty quickly. The Whiteside was super smooth.

    Hope this helps someone out there.
    Jason
  • scoly
    Established Member
    • Jun 2003
    • 395
    • Lubbock, Texas, USA.

    #2
    Looks like you got a nice fit. Thanks for the notes.
    Price is right for the jig, just wish it did through dt's.
    Steve
    It\'s the combined experience of the members on this board that make it such a great place.

    Comment

    • Chris Curry
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2006
      • 26
      • The Great White North

      #3
      Jason -- I think you've got the hang of it! Just the encouragement I needed to take the plunge.
      When did you get the jig for $24? I just looked and HF wants $49.99 for it. Was there a special a shile back?
      Thanks, Chris

      Comment

      • BobSch
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004
        • 4385
        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
        • BT3100

        #4
        quote:Originally posted by Chris Curry

        Jason -- I think you've got the hang of it! Just the encouragement I needed to take the plunge.
        When did you get the jig for $24? I just looked and HF wants $49.99 for it. Was there a special a shile back?
        Thanks, Chris
        This is another item that HF puts on sale periodically. If you're not in a hurry, just wait and it'll be back on sale eventually.

        Bob

        Bad decisions make good stories.

        Comment

        • zootroy
          Established Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 321
          • Coeur D\'Alene, Idaho.

          #5
          It went on sale for $30.00 around Jan 15th. I got it down to $24 with a 20%off coupon. Not too bad. I was thinking about giving the rockler through dovetail template a try to see if it fits on the HF. They look like the same jig.

          Comment

          Working...