• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Huge pictures in Posting

I posted the below to Rod (Buddy Rough) but thought that it would be a good addition for others. Even reading it, it might not make sense because there is a huge difference in pictures used for computer and internet display versus pictures used for Printing.

PURPOSE OF THE PICTURE:
    IF you are posting or having problems with huge pictures showing up on screen, this does not tell you how to change that, but will give you a "why" as to its happening. My advice is to determine what you want to do with the pictures that you scan or download from your camera and make adjustments for the purpose in which you intend to use it:
    1. Print,
    or
    2. Computer/internet display

A brief description of the picture size problem: Most people are not aware that printed pictures and computer displayed pictures are TWO DIFFERENT animals. Cameras do not know if its owner wants to "print" the picts or "post" them on web sites (or viewed on computer screens). So as Default, the cameras create them in a huge byte size so that they will "print" fine.

PRINTED photos require HUGE size (amount of pixels) compared to screen displayed pictures.

COMPUTER SCREEN displayed pictures do not require the same amount of pixels to appear as clear on screen as a printed photo of the same physical, and consequently uses 1/3 to 1/4 less byte size.

A Rule: Computer screen displayed photos actually need 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of pixels (bytes) as printed photos of the same size. The converse is that a photo will show up 3 to 4 tmes larger on screen than in print without some adjustment. CAMERAs Do not know what the intended purpose is, so they take the picts in the larger byte size.

FOR THIS REASON, many people's posted photos are huge. If a person takes what they think would be a 6 X 4 inch photo in print, and post it, it will show up on this site or other site as a 24 in by 16 inch size.

Light tricks the eyes and makes pictures on screen appear smooth and sharp with far fewer pixels than in a printed photo.

ANOTHER aspect: 72, 75, 96 Dots Per Inch (DPI) on a screen will show a picture with the same basic clarity of a 300 DPI in Print. A 72, 75 or 96 DPI photo will _print_ very blocky and fuzzy - out of focus. 300 DPI is a good resolution for printing. 72 - 96 are good Screen display resolutions.

ALL of this is somewhat oversimplified, but I have been trying for over a year to be able to explain this in non technical terms. [:I] This is the easiest that I have been able to come up with so far. [)]

(And this does not even get into the RGB vs CMYK challenges of photo creation, display and print.)

Hope this makes sense.
    [)]
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
Working...