• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodyork
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • Payson, AZ.

Logout - why not automatic?

I've noticed that when I forgot to log out, that the next time i visit the forum I'm still logged in. Most passworded sites that I use automatically log one off when they exit the site.
    Too soon old,
    too late smart
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I prefer the log in set like it is. Now that I think about it, most of the places that I frequent do as this one does rather than logging me out when I leave.

Only my secure banking require it "every time", which I like.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BobSch
      • Aug 2004
      • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
      • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by leehljp

I prefer the log in set like it is. Now that I think about it, most of the places that I frequent do as this one does rather than logging me out when I leave.

Only my secure banking require it "every time", which I like.
      I'm with Hank on this one. I like not having to login each time. Secure sites like banks, etc. need to verify your ID each visit. Here it's not necessary. JMHO
      Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Tequila
        • Aug 2004
        • King of Prussia, PA, USA.

I prefer this as well. Most forum sites I visit have it as an option though.
        -Joe

Comment

• woodyork
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2005
          • Payson, AZ.

I want to log in every time also. What I have a problem with is when I forget to log off and come back 4 hours later to find that I'm still logged on. My financial accounts log me off automatically when I've forgotten to log off. You don't want to leave them open because someone else may be able to access your account while you are actually offline.

It seems to me that this may also screw up the statistics about how many people are actually logged on at one time.

This is no big deal to me, just an observation and I won't be whinig about it anymore. I just thought it might be of interest to the moderators.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong[?]

I love this forum.

Woody
          Too soon old,
          too late smart

Comment

• Sam Conder
            Woodworker Once More
            • Dec 2002
            • Midway, KY
            • Delta 36-725T2

It's an option with some forum softwares, but not with the one we use as far as I know. (Snitz)
            Sam Conder
            BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Woody: My financial accounts log me off automatically when I've forgotten to log off.

Mine does too! I like that on a security issue site.

You don't want to leave them open because someone else may be able to access your account while you are actually offline. . . <snip> I love this forum.

Leaving my account as "logged on" still requires a "log in" if another computer is used. No one can access my account while I am offline without my pass word wether I left it "logged in" or "logged out", unless they are on _my_ computer. (Pardon, Maybe Sam could )

Occasionally I log on with someone else's computer. If I am going to be there for a day or so and will be checking in a couple or three times or so, I just leave it as logged in; BUT, I make sure I "log out" on their computer before leaving. With my own computer, I have no problems as I control its use very closely.

The "Log in" only affects your own computer, because the cookie is kept on your computer, not this site; (stepping out of my expertise range) If it is kept on this site, the cookie on the computer must match the preferences set on this site. If this were to be the case, another computer and another user cannot log into your account "as you" unless they know your pass word. Without your password on their computer, they cannot get in even though you left it as "logged in". Hope this makes sense.

I like this site too. Helps me clear the cobwebs out of my brain. When I get through, it is CLEAR space in there. Over here in Japan there is an expression called "peeman atama" or bell pepper head - Air head, empty head! Some of my posts show it too![)]
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• woodyork
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2005
                • Payson, AZ.

Thanks Hank. Excellent explanation. If I understand this correctly this means that my name disapears from the list of members on line as soon as I leave the site even though I did not log off. That would mean that my concern about the possible error in the statistics was unfounded. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.
                I'm sot of a geek so I like to understand how things work, so I learned something today and it's still early.

Woody
                Too soon old,
                too late smart

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by Sam Conder

It's an option with some forum softwares, but not with the one we use as far as I know. (Snitz)
                  Actually it is an option, under certain conditions:

When you log on, there's a checkbox labeled "Save Password." It is checked by default. UNCHECK this box, log in, do your forum business, and then close your browser. You won't still be logged on when you come back.

Note that you MUST close your browser. If you surf elsewhere and return here in the same browser session, you'll still be logged in.
                  Larry

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

It's like Hank and Larry explained. We use several different instances of Snitz forums on our Intranet (yes, I pay for them).
                    Due to the corporate sensitive information on some of them, we modify them so that certain cookies are not set. Another is modified to log the user out after a period of inactivity.

Hank, I could have made use of "peeman atama" for a handle before the prostate surgery a couple of years ago!! ;&gt
                    Ken

Comment

Working...