• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Possible to save "draft" post?

Sometimes if I have a long post, I get nervous that my work will be lost before I have a chance to hit Post. Is it possible with this forum software to save a draft of your post and come back to it later?

I know I can just leave what I have typed up on the screen but I have on occasion accidentally closed the tab or inadvertently hit another button and all is lost.

Thanks
    Paul
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

On Firefox you can save a tab. Or, you could just minimize it.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
      • Aug 2007
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • BT-3000, 21829

My computer acts up once in a while by occasionally dumping me out of a page mid-post.

Now, I use 'Notepad' to create my brilliant posts, then 'copy and paste' to the forum.

Hope this hel..............................................
      You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
      of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
        My computer acts up once in a while by occasionally dumping me out of a page mid-post.

Now, I use 'Notepad' to create my brilliant posts, then 'copy and paste' to the forum.

Hope this hel..............................................
        I do something similar, but put my drafts in my Yahoo email.
        Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I have the same challenge, especially because I use AOL I think. Too many times I've hit a wrong key or combination of keys and the whole thing just disappears.

What I've found myself doing if I think it's going to be a long post, is to simply write it in my word processor or in my ISP's mail writer and then save it there. When finished, I can copy and paste into the "reply" space of whatever forum I'm writing to. Caution though: depending on what you're writing in, the "paste" may require some editing of the spacing, paragraph definition, etc. "Notepad" seems to be the cleanest.

I hope this helps,

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

OK, thanks.

I'll continue to compose my posts from an undisclosed location with plumbing, and e-mail myself so I can continue them at work.

Paul

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

Quick easy answer is no this version of the forum software does not support saving of unposted material. Where it becomes muddled is we do have a license to a more current version and that may be a feature of the next version. I say that because a forum owned by the parent company of vBulletin which uses the next version has that feature. That other forum also has some nifty features that are proprietary in nature so the inline actually auto-save may be as well. When I asked the Admin of the other forum for info about some features he replied "trade secrets" requiring advanced code writing skills. So my intuition tells me that they use the other forum as a test bed for future versions and enhancements. Sadly I do not have and cannot seem to find an itemized list of features and changes that are included in the upgrade.

As has already been mentioned writing your posts in a word processing program and drag and dropping them into the reply pane is the best idea. Even with the enhancement it seems that it only remembers on a per session basis but I may be wrong. I really do not know because I have not tested it.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...