• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Just testing

OK, I fooled around a bit but I don't understand the meaning of the icons so that I can setup a higlighted word which would be tied to a link when tabbed. Which icon is it, folks?

Secondly, how do you place quotes from different people into the same post?

Thirdly, how do you respond to different sentences within the same quote so that *my* input is *not* highlighted within the quote?

Sorry to be a PITB but I don't seem to be able to locate this in my searches. If there's a common FAQ for this info just show me the way.
    Last edited by ironhat; 09-26-2007, 03:54 PM.
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • TheRic
    • Jun 2004
    • West Central Ohio
    • bt3100

Originally posted by ironhat
    OK, I fooled around a bit but I don't understand the meaning of the icons so that I can setup a higlighted word which would be tied to a link when tabbed. Which icon is it, folks?.
    Not sure about this one, did it once but don't remember how I did it.

Secondly, how do you place quotes from different people in a post?.
    I'm sure you know of the quote button at the bottom of each post. To the right of that is a page with quote marks on it. Hit that button, it will be highlight, in each post you want to quote. When you select the last one you hit the quote button.

Thirdly, how do respond to different topics within the same quote such that my input is *not* highlighted within the quote?
    If you mean what I did here in this post then here what I do. I use the quote button to get your post in the editor. Inside there I copy the part in square quote marks. The first part says to start quote here, the last one says end quote here. By copying and pasting them I can split the quotes up. There might be a better way, but I don't know about it.

Sorry to be a PITB but I don't seem to be able to locate this in my searches.
    If there's a common FAQ
    for this info just show me the way but please identify the icon. I read about the first question but I'm not locating the correct one.
    In this example I used the "Wrap quote marks around selected text option". It's the button at the top that looks like a comic strip balloon. If you hover your mouse pointer over the buttons it will tell you what they are. It is possible you might have some options turned off. Not 100% sure about that.

Don't worry about it, no one can know everything there is to know about everything.
    Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Chiz: To make a highlighted word or words a clickable alias for the actual link, type out your text, select the word(s) you want to serve as the clickable alias, and then click the icon that looks like a world globe with a chain link overlapping it. A dialog box will pop up. Paste in the link and click Ok.

To intersperse your own comments within a block of quoted text, I too know of no easier way than to manually cut-and-paste in the appropriate codes at the appropriate places, as Ric describes.

Ric: I didn't know about that multi-quote button ... have never really paid any attention to it before. Thas cool!
      Larry

Comment

• TheRic
        • Jun 2004
        • West Central Ohio
        • bt3100

#1 web site on the Internet

Ok I figured out the answer to your first question. Highlight the word(s) that you want linked. Then hit the link button, looks like a globe with a chain LINK in front of it. A box pops up, enter in the address you want linked.

Larry beat me to it, while I was playing.
        Last edited by TheRic; 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM. Reason: Larry beat me to it, while I was playing.
        Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

Originally posted by LarryG
          Ric: I didn't know about that multi-quote button ... have never really paid any attention to it before. Thas cool!
          Yeah, that was news to me, too. Thanks, Ric!
          JR

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004

Whew, I feel a little goofy for not figuring some that out. I did try the globe but failed to highlight the word first. Enough excuses, I'm just thankful for your help, everyone!
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

OK, I fooled around a bit but I don't understand the meaning of the icons so that I can setup a higlighted word which would be tied to a link when tabbed. Which icon is it, folks?
              Make sure you set up for "advanced reply/ edit" highlight word(s) then click on the icon as already described.

Secondly, how do you place quotes from different people into the same post?
              Ric nailed this one

Thirdly, how do you respond to different sentences within the same quote so that *my* input is *not* highlighted within the quote?
              Use either the multi quote or manually beak and add the {quote}text{/quote} using [] instead of {}. I had to manually break this. I should have just hilighed the text and used the icon for quote which is the little text filled baloon.

Sorry to be a PITB but I don't seem to be able to locate this in my searches. If there's a common FAQ for this info just show me the way.
              There is limited info in the FAQ look under reading and replying to posts.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• ironhat
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by TheRic
                #1 web site on the Internet

Ok I figured out the answer to your first question. Highlight the word(s) that you want linked. Then hit the link button, looks like a globe with a chain LINK in front of it. A box pops up, enter in the address you want linked.

Larry beat me to it, while I was playing.

Just a test. I did not cut and paste this one.

Originally posted by LarryG
                Chiz: To make a highlighted word or words a clickable alias for the actual link, type out your text, select the word(s) you want to serve as the clickable alias, and then click the icon that looks like a world globe with a chain link overlapping it. A dialog box will pop up. Paste in the link and click Ok.

To intersperse your own comments within a block of quoted text, I too know of no easier way than to manually cut-and-paste in the appropriate codes at the appropriate places, as Ric describes.

Now a trial at linking this to a hyperlink. So, I'll close and try this out after a break for some gainful employment.

WOO HOO!! Now I'm stylin' !! Thanks folks!
                Last edited by ironhat; 09-27-2007, 03:40 PM. Reason: Added 'thanks'!
                Blessings,
                Chiz

Comment

Working...