• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

Don't think Vista likes BT3Central ...

I upgraded (?) to Vista from XP. Now, I can't search for new posts on BT3Central.

The main page shows the number of new posts since my last visit, but when I click on it to view, I get this message:

"Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. "

Do I need to change some settings, or does Bill Gates hate woodworkers?

Thanks,

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

Don't know about that, Lonnie. But I do know that I hate Vista..

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• scmhogg
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2003
      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
      • BT3000

Lonnie,

I've been using Vista for a couple of weeks now, with no problems. I used a Belkin transfer cable to move my settings from the old XP computer.

I get the message you complain of, when I try to refresh, while I'm viewing "new posts".

Perhaps your settings go to a cached page rather than a new search.

Steve
      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
        • May 2003
        • Orlando, FL, USA.
        • BT3000

duh ...

Steve -

Any suggestions on what to do?

I used to think that I was pretty good with these computer gizmos. I started with a pimped out smokin' XT running DOS 3.2. Got pretty good with various Windows versions on ever-faster laptops. But now I feel that I don't know a cashed page from a cashed check.

Current notebook: HP dv6150. Intel DuoCore T5500 1.66GHz. 2GB RAM. Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for your help,

- Lonnie

Comment

• Jeff
          • Jan 2003
          • Beaumont, CA, USA.
          • BT6000

Any chance you have McAfee on it? If so, you might take it off. I have a new Dell with Vista and web pages of all sorts would not load properly, McAfee was the problem, found that via Google, an IT guy's best friend.
          Deinstalled McAfee, everything's OK now, for now.
          Jeff in Beaumont, the OLD T-Nuts guy

Chromosomes: Monkeys, 44. Humans, 46. Sweet potato, 48. Przewalski's Horse, 66. Forest fern, 144.
          Evolution? Yeah right.

Comment

• Lonnie in Orlando
            • May 2003
            • Orlando, FL, USA.
            • BT3000

Jeff:

I'm running Norton AV.

Strange ... this time the "New Posts" link worked. If all else fails, it won't kill me to check each forum. I did that for a long time before I discovered the "New Posts" link.

Thanks guys,

- Lonnie

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

I will say that at this time I am running Vista on all the machines I use on a regular basis including the one I am using now to enter this message. I am not having the issues with the forum that you speak of. Vista is one of those things that once you really start using it you find features that you just can’t live without and others that you hate. So needless to say I am not going back to XP.

I do run McAfee 8.5.0.781 Enterprise with Vista and have little issue with it either.

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Jeff
                Any chance you have McAfee on it? If so, you might take it off. I have a new Dell with Vista and web pages of all sorts would not load properly, McAfee was the problem, found that via Google, an IT guy's best friend.
                Deinstalled McAfee, everything's OK now, for now.
                Slightly off-topic, (Vista-wise), but try Avast AV software. It is free for home use, they charge for commercial customers. I've used it for 3 years now on a number of machines, and had zero problems.

I also discovered a great free PDF creator -- pdf995. They have lots of add-ons, too, if you want more than a basic PDF printer driver. The free version has mildly annoying pop-ups of their website/advertising. Buying the software gets you the software without their pop-up. So far, I can live with it.
                Lee

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Redford MI.
                  • Craftsman 21829

There is a better PDF creator than PDF995 it is called "PDFcreator". Is open source and FREE is very configurable has versions for desktop single computer or desktop+PDFcreator-printserver. The big difference is that the standard one cannot be used as a shared printer. Has a nice feature that allows you to create a multipage PDF from multiple outputs to the creator server.

sparkeyjames

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Open Office can also generate pdf's, as well as having other usefull features.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...