• Show
Clear All
  • jspelbring
    Established Member
    • Nov 2004
    • Belleville, IL, USA.
    • Craftsman 22114

Remember me... please?

I seem to be having trouble with the site "remembering" me. I use Firefox/Windows XP at work, and Mac OS X/Safari at home. I can't quite figure out the pattern of when I'm remembered, and when I have to login again. Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I doing something dumb or wrong?

Thanks,

-Jon
    To do is to be.
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

do you have cookies enabled?

Comment

• TJG
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2006

It probably has to do with cookies. So, if your browser blocks cookies, or deletes cookies when you exit, then it wouldn't remember you. Under IE, the setting is probably in Tools/Internet Options, check the Privacy settings. In Firefox, you have Tools/Options... and it's probably the Privacy settings there as well. Of course, where it is may depend on the version of the browser you are using.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

A couple-few people have reported problems with this, not sure it it's ever been doped out.

Running FF/XP here, too. In Tools, Options, Privacy tab, make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked and also that they are kept until they expire. Below that, either uncheck the "Always clear private data ..." box or, if you prefer to have it checked, click on Settings and uncheck Cookies and Saved Passwords.

If that doesn't do it, I got nuthin'.
        Larry

Comment

• jspelbring
          Established Member
          • Nov 2004
          • Belleville, IL, USA.
          • Craftsman 22114

Cookies

Well, cookies are enabled and all, but when I looked at the bt3central cookie, there were a couple of duplicates - userid, for one. Maybe a holdover from the old system? Anyway, I deleted the cookie and restarted the browser. We'll see if it sticks.
          To do is to be.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

Jon,

I'm also using Safari on a Mac G-5 and it seems that when the site was reciently upgraded, my name and password no longer sticks

Cookies are enabled, and I did remove all bt3central ones, to clean the slate.

I'm not behing a firewall, and am using the same cable IP as before when everything was working.

Maybe someone hates Macs, as I haven't tried any other browsers.

If you get it figured out, PM me, please.

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

Same here with Safari, it won't remember. My other browsers remember it.

Mine started one day around December (I think) or so, when I did an "Empty the cache". It hasn't worked since. I have to log in manually everytime.

I have looked at KeyChain and cleaned that out, com.apple.safari.plist also. Everything I could think of.

I finally decided to wait until Leopard comes out and do a bookmark export and start off with a clean Safari. Of course I will save my KeyChain passwords to get back into the occasionally used sign in sites.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I had the same problem with Safari. I fixed it, but it was a while ago and I don't remember the exact steps, but it wasn't straight forward. I think it involved logging in using Firefox, then checking the cookies there and copying the values to Safari using some free cookie editing program. Apparently one of the crucial cookies doesn't stick (or at east not properly) on Safari.

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Blasphemers one and all!

Computer usability issues on a Mac, surely not. I think we can all agree to blame the server, or maybe some router secretly running Windows that the data is passing through on the way to those Macs.

Anyhow, what Gerti mentioned is exactly what I had to do. Capture the cookie in FF, then use a 3rd party program to migrate it over for Safari. I'm not really a Mac guy, and don't own the machine in question so there may well be a graphical method in the application to accomplish the same thing, but if so, it wasn't very obvious to me.

Comment

• Copper
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Madison, WI.
                    • BT3100

I am also running Safari on a Mac G5 and this problem just started for me today. I haven't changed anything since yesterday (and I haven't restarted my computer since the last software update a couple weeks ago ).
                    - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
                    and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                      Woodworker Once More
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Midway, KY
                      • Delta 36-725T2

Looks like a known bug...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs3...iew&bugid=1116

I'l try to implement the codefix tonight.
                      Sam Conder
                      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Copper
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Madison, WI.
                        • BT3100

Here's a not-so-quick work around. Download SafariCookieCutter. Open Firefox (download first if you don't have it) and log into BT3Central. Go to the Preferences of Firefox, click on the Privacy tab, and then the cookies tab. Click the view cookies button. Click on the arrow next to "bt3central.com" to open the submenu. Click on "bbuserid" and note the content value in the bottom portion of the window.

Open SarafiCookieCutter. Click on the green plus sign (Add cookie). Double click on the "www.somewhere.com" to edit. Type in ".bt3central.com" (without the quotes) for the Domain. Put in some future date for the expires (I copied it from another cookie). Type in "bbuserid" for the Name. For the Value, type (or copy) the Content from the Firefox window.

Add another cookie for "bbpassword" using a similar approach using "bbpassword" for the Name and the content from bbpassword in the Firefox cookie (this is a long string of numbers and letters).

This worked for me. Otherwise, just wait for the codefix. Hope it helps.
                        - Dennis

"If your mind goes blank, don't forget to turn off the sound." --Red Green
                        and yes, it's a potato.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Copper
                          Here's a not-so-quick work around. Download SafariCookieCutter. Open Firefox (download first if you don't have it) and log into BT3Central. Go to the Preferences of Firefox, click on the Privacy tab, and then the cookies tab. Click the view cookies button. Click on the arrow next to "bt3central.com" to open the submenu. Click on "bbuserid" and note the content value in the bottom portion of the window.

Open SarafiCookieCutter. Click on the green plus sign (Add cookie). Double click on the "www.somewhere.com" to edit. Type in ".bt3central.com" (without the quotes) for the Domain. Put in some future date for the expires (I copied it from another cookie). Type in "bbuserid" for the Name. For the Value, type (or copy) the Content from the Firefox window.

Add another cookie for "bbpassword" using a similar approach using "bbpassword" for the Name and the content from bbpassword in the Firefox cookie (this is a long string of numbers and letters).

This worked for me. Otherwise, just wait for the codefix. Hope it helps.
                          IT WORKS! . . . At least for me! THANK YOU! (Happy yelling intended!)

ALSO: THANKS Sam for the link. I followed that one and another one also. It helped me understand a lot. For me, it happened when I cleaned out the cache, as one post says can start the problem. I also passed this information on to several other people.

SPOKE TOO SOON It works - HOWEVER . . . I tried it several times and it worked fine. Then I decided to LOG OUT. When I came back, of course I had to log in. BUT at this point it would not remember me anymore. Tried it several ways. I looked in the SafariCookieCutter and the two cookies that I had to create were gone. Logging back in did not create them.

After going through the procedure as I had earlier, it is now working again. I just will not log out. I don't usually do that anyway.
                          Last edited by leehljp; 03-01-2007, 03:25 AM.
                          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• jspelbring
                            Established Member
                            • Nov 2004
                            • Belleville, IL, USA.
                            • Craftsman 22114

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sam Conder
                            Looks like a known bug...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/bugs3...iew&bugid=1116

I'l try to implement the codefix tonight.
                            Thanks Sam, I'll check it out tonight.
                            (at work, with XP/Firefox, just deleting the old cookies worked)

-Jon
                            To do is to be.

Comment

• Sam Conder
                              Woodworker Once More
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Midway, KY
                              • Delta 36-725T2

I didn't get a round tuit last night. Looks like it will be Saturday evenening at the earliest.

Sorry...
                              Sam Conder
                              BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...