• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • egustke
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2005
    • chapel hill, nc, USA.

Tool Review?

Is there any chance that we could have a forum dedicated to tool review?

I really thing that would be a huge benefit. So many threads in different areas ask these questions and to be able to find them all in one place would be great. I would love to read from folks I trust about their experiences and be able to add to them with out having to read through threads on "how to replace bushings" etc on the tool talk thread.

This would make my use of the forun so much more frequent and enjoyable.

It might need a sub catagory i.e. router review, drill review, hand tool review etc.

thanks
  • sacherjj
    Not Your Average Joe
    • Dec 2005
    • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
    • BT3100-1

That is a very good idea. It would be great if the Title was in a common format, listing just the specific product line or product itself.
    Joe Sacher

Comment

• PJC
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • NJ, USA.
      • BT3100

I agree! Excellent idea. Hopefully it can be done.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Liberty, SC, USA.
        • Ridgid TS3650

Tool reviews are under Articles on the main toolbar.
        ken

Comment

• jwaterdawg
          • Aug 2005
          • Washington, NC USA
          • JET

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
          ken
          Yeah, but how about something simpler. Like a rating system comparable to what Amazon has. One of the most frequently asked questions here is "How good is this Harbor Freight tool X?". If we could rate a tool, rather than having to write a full review I think there might be more participation.... Just a thought....
          Don't be stupid, the universe is watching.

Comment

• PJC
            Established Member
            • Jul 2004
            • NJ, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Ken Massingale
            ken
            But none of the links work

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by PJC
              But none of the links work
              Right you are.
              Sam??

Comment

• maxparot
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Hey maybe we should get some of the perks that the handyman clubs gets. We should be in touch with tool manufacturers for some free tools for our members to test and review. Hand them out on a random basis to active members that are willing to write reviews.
                Maybe the tool companies would even sponsor BT3central for the data.

Just a thought
                Last edited by maxparot; 06-10-2006, 12:14 AM.
                Opinions are like gas;
                I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

....but how about something simpler. Like a rating system comparable to what Amazon has............If we could rate a tool, rather than having to write a full review I think there might be more participation.
                  And who would rate the raters? The last place I would look at for a review of any kind is Amazon. With a written review we would at least have some idea that the writer does or doesn't know what they're writing about. On the other hand, a simple 1-5 or "star" rating system doesn't even let us know if the rater knows where the power switch is located.

Comment

• egustke
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jan 2005
                    • chapel hill, nc, USA.

I have really enjoyed the professional reviews but the number of items covered is pretty small.

I know that there is no way to judge a reviewer but that is a poor reason not to allow everybody with experience using a tool not to give their opinion. If you beleive everything that you read on the internet then yes you would be in trouble.

I would love to read different peoples experiences good and bad and then make my own decision. It is what I do now it is just that I have to search through soo many threads to get it.

The truth is that I do trust the posters on this site a lot more than the ramdom chatter on epinions etc... And I would love to hear their thoughts on the tools that I am interested in. I am sure some folks with more time might write more extensive reviews while some might post problems or "loved it"

I would certainly write more knowing that the threads would be used and stay around longer than a week or two.

thread titles could be like--

Bandsaw:Grizzly G0513
                    Bandsaw:Jet BS150LS
                    Router:Porter Cable 690
                    Router:Bosch 1617
                    Router:Hitachi MV12

or there could be different catagorys for each tool group, either way easy to find catagory and information

As for the star system I personally don't think that helps too much unless there are a lot of reviews and even then it is really only good for finding the very best and the very worst... I would rather read what peoples experiences are.

Just thoughts...

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • York, PA, USA.

I agree that a broader range of topics is needed than the articles afford, however wouldn't all that jazz fit in "Tool Talk"? Seems like a logical place for tool reviews.

Comment

• jhart
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

When I'm thinking about a new tool purchase, if more than a few dollars are involved, I generally will do an internet search, looking for comments or user experiences, good and bad. The bad comments help me keep an eye out when I go to test the unit in the store.

Without the comments, I may not think about looking specifically at that area. Overall, I find them to be a great help in determining what I end up buying. A perfect example is the BT3100. When I was thinking of a new table saw, I found this forum. Had never considered the 3100, but after reading the many, many comments about it, I bought it and have been pretty pleased with it.

I find the comments made about products by members of this forum to be pretty accurate, and will generally search the forum first when thinking about a new "toy"
                        Joe
                        "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• Ken Weaver
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Clemson, SC, USA
                          • Rigid TS3650

Maybe a link to a site that does more of that? I rely a lot on Tom Hintz over at newwoodworker.com. He's a forum member and his work has been dead on from what I can tell.
                          Ken Weaver
                          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• jhart
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

Ken, you're right on about Tom's site. He does a really good job on his reviews.
                            Joe
                            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

Working...