Remind me again -- why the new forum software?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dlminehart
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • San Jose, CA, USA.

Remind me again -- why the new forum software?

For those of us struggling with the new software (and, as a computer tech, empathizing with Sam's predicament), it might take the edge off the frustration to be reminded of what the benefits of the upgrade will eventually be.

Perhaps a static post in this forum?
    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

No offense David, but if I had time to write that document I would. Right now I am running ragged trying to fix the database issue. Please try to have some some patience.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• dlminehart
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • San Jose, CA, USA.

I thought this had already been discussed, and managed to find the thread . . . only to discover it's infested with the dread proliferating post, and has lost its original content.

I suggest you shut down the site, Sam, to make your cleanup work simpler.
      - David

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

I will shut the site down wheneve it comes time to patch up the database. In the meantime, people can still share via new posts and the chatroom.
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• rickd
          Established Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
          • Ryobi BT3100

right on sam!

Originally posted by Sam Conder
          I will shut the site down wheneve it comes time to patch up the database. In the meantime, people can still share via new posts and the chatroom.
          right on sam!! take your time. i think the great majority of us users want the site to remain up while you do what you have to do(and, again thank you for doing it).

it's working fine and i, for one, think the new site is great.

keep up the great work.
          rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Thanks Sam.

I went through about 15 minutes of getting oriented to the new software but I quickly grew to like this and already prefer the power of this over the older.

Take your time.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Wood_workur
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2005
              • Ohio
              • Ryobi bt3100-1

For one, therre arn't a million screens when you quick reply. It just appears.

For two, we have wood grain.
              Alex

Comment

• dlminehart
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • San Jose, CA, USA.

OK, I found at least one post from Sam explaining the change in forum software:

"Snitz has been a great forum software, but there has been no new development for a couple of years now and there doesn't seem to be much motivation to do so in the future. Time to move on!

There is lots of great FREE code and scripts available in PHP that simply don't exist or are too expensive in ASP. I would like to do more with the site without asking for more money!"

I'm sorry that a couple people seemed to take my questions as somehow attacking Sam or this forum. As I said in my initial post, I empathize with Sam's struggle to migrate the forum. And, as a frequent visitor and poster, I have at least as much appreciation for the forum and as much interest as the next guy in the new forum's success.

Not remembering seeing any details of what the migration was supposed to accomplish, and like many of us finding the previous forum the best on the Internet, I'm also interested in the advantages (and disadvantages) of the new software, just as I'm interested in the advantages (and disadvantages) of upgrading from a benchtop saw to a BT3, or from a BT3 to a Ridgid 3624.
                - David

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Well, for openers ...

As I recall, two HIGHLY desirable benefits are (1) the dreaded ultra-long-link-won't-wrap problem goes away, and (2) those five-acre JPGs that some people persist in posting will automatically be downsized to something that will fit onto a monitor without the need to scroll to see all of them.
                  Larry

Comment

• bigsteel15
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Edmonton, AB
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I have to say that this site is far superior to any other WW forum I have seen.
                    When you consider that it isn't hosted by any magazine or corporation it becomes even more amazing.
                    There are a few forum sites that are hosted by magazines that could certainly use updating, but they don't seem to care about the user friendliness that is available. I guess if there isn't money to be made in something it isn't worth it to them.
                    Brian

Welcome to the school of life
                    Where corporal punishment is alive and well.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Twin Cities, MN
                      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by LarryG
                      As I recall, two HIGHLY desirable benefits are (1) the dreaded ultra-long-link-won't-wrap problem goes away, and (2) those five-acre JPGs that some people persist in posting will automatically be downsized to something that will fit onto a monitor without the need to scroll to see all of them.
                      That's worth the price of admission right there.

But, speaking of jpeg's -- I'm still trying to figure out if we can include an uploaded picture in-line like before, or if they're all treated like attachments and put at the bottom. I can see how to include a pic from a URL in-line....

Regards,
                      Tom

Comment

• jnesmith
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

Originally posted by dlminehart
                        I'm sorry that a couple people seemed to take my questions as somehow attacking Sam or this forum.
                        I didn't take it that way at all. I have wondered the same, and thought it was a reasonable question. I assumed it was intended to be (and will be) an improvement in various ways. I vaugely recalled discussions of the various improvements but could not remember the details.

Of course, Sam's response was reasonable too. No need to take time to once again explain things when he has his hands so full. I suspect David was asking others who might also know the details and have the time and inclination to provide them.
                        John

Comment

• 91FE
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Philadelphia (actually Souderton), PA.

This post right here put me over the top...

I've been meaning to pony up some money for the site... just haven't gotten around to it... until now. I believe it was this sentence that put me over the top:

I have to say that this site is far superior to any other WW forum I have seen.
                          When you consider that it isn't hosted by any magazine or corporation it becomes even more amazing.
                          Just paypal'd ya some loot Sam. Keep up the great work!
                          I like Wagoneers too. Hey...they've got wood

Comment

• jhart
                            Veteran Member
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100

I think the new site is great Sam. Take your time getting the bugs out. We'll live with it.
                            Joe
                            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• just4funsies
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Florida.
                              • BT3000

Ditto......
                              ...eight, nine, TEN! Yep! Still got all my fingers!

Comment

Working...