Adding a 'Project Plans' listing to the Forum???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkl1865
    Established Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Charlotte, NC, USA.

Adding a 'Project Plans' listing to the Forum???

Sam,
    I guess this question is directed towards you, but also to see if anyone would be interested in this.
    I was wondering the possiblity for a forum topic added for the sharing of some of our Wood Working Plans (i.e. 'entertainment centers', hope chests, etc...). I understand we have much in the way of "Jigs & Fixtures", but not plans. Downloading these from the designated sites can be pretty expesive after time.
    Any thoughts??? Heck, this might be illegal for all I know... Just thinking out-loud.

Jason[img=left] http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~dcc/pub/flag/flag50.gif [/img=left]
    Jason[img=left] http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~dcc/pub/flag/flag50.gif [/img=left]
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Sharing copyrighted plans that you must pay to download would certainly be illegal. I would not mind creating a section for original plans that site members draw up on their own, but not any "commercially produced" plans.

Sam Conder
    BT3Central.com Admin

Visit www.samconder.com for a peek into the life of the woodworking nerd who created BT3Central.com
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Eric
      • Jun 2003
      • Cocolalla, ID
      • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

This is kind of on topic, let's say you buy a plan from a site and then modify it who then owns the copyright, it would have to be person that modifies it, right?

Eric
      "Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure."
      - Thomas Edison
      AnE Technologies

Comment

• Sam Conder
        Woodworker Once More
        • Dec 2002
        • Midway, KY
        • Delta 36-725T2

quote:Originally posted by eric1973

This is kind of on topic, let's say you buy a plan from a site and then modify it who then owns the copyright, it would have to be person that modifies it, right?

Eric
        - Thomas Edison
        AnE Technologies
        It will probably take a lawyer with copyright infringement experience to answer this correctly, but to me your scenario sounds like plagerism. It would be like taking a Steven King novel, changing the names, and then calling it your own.

Sam Conder
        BT3Central.com Admin

Visit www.samconder.com for a peek into the life of the woodworking nerd who created BT3Central.com
        Sam Conder
        BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

FWIW, I made some copies of some NYW plans a while back for people here. Neither I nor the guy at Kinko's could find a copyright on the plans.

Don, aka Pappy, aka SicPup
          I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it!
          http://community.webshots.com/user/pappysplaypen
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Eric
            • Jun 2003
            • Cocolalla, ID
            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Just because copyright interests me as far as web design and such I've done a little research on the subject.

Found this on the copyright.gov website (http://www.copyright.gov)

quote:Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work.
            This in regards to recipes, which is kind of a "plan":
            quote:A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection. Note that if you have secret ingredients to a recipe that you do not wish to be revealed, you should not submit your recipe for registration, because applications and deposit copies are public records
            quote:Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.
            So, as I understand it if you were to want to get a copy of a plan and then rewrite the plan in your own words and replace the drawings with your own drawing then the plan would then be yours. Copyright does not protect the idea, only the verbage and the illustrations.
            Also it appears that anything that is written is covered under the copyright, whether it's a web based item or hardcopy.

Eric
            - Thomas Edison
            AnE Technologies

Comment

Working...