How Does the Who's Online Function Work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tube Crafter
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Austin, TX.

How Does the Who's Online Function Work?

Whever I visit the site and check Who's Online, I see an "Anonymous" listing that appears to be me, based on the time. So, first, why doesn't the site recognize my username? My screen does say I am logged on as Tube Crafter. Second, how does the site know when to delete me as an active member? Does my browser send something to your server when I close the window?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a quick search, but didn't find these specific issues.

• Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

quote:
    So, first, why doesn't the site recognize my username?
    Because that is how you have configured your account. Here is a screenshot of your profile for the forum:

See the red arrow? That should be "YES". I am pretty sure "YES" is the default, but I don't remember.

quote:
    Second, how does the site know when to delete me as an active member? Does my browser send something to your server when I close the window?
    No. Whenever you establish a connection with the forum it creates a "session" as long as you stay active in the foru by posting or moving around regularly it keeps the session open. Once it detects that you are idle for more than 15 minutes, it closes the session.
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• Tube Crafter
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2003
      • Austin, TX.

Thanks Sam, sorry to bother you with this trivia. I've got it now!

Comment

Working...