• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwerner
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2002
    • Norwalk, CT, USA.

No more automatic log-on?

I've just returned after a couple of weeks travelling and the world has turned beneath me again! Is it true that with the switch to BT3Central.com we've lost automatic log-on, or am I doing something wrong?

BTW, is it my imagination or has the spirit here really become even better than it was/is on the Ryobi forum?

Ken
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Auto log on is there. But the site was off-line for a few hours a couple of weeks ago while Sam changed the site to BT3Central. If this is your first time since that re-construction, then you will may have to re-do your log on; but should be just a one time thing.

Hank
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RodKirby
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
      • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

quote:Originally posted by kwerner

BTW, is it my imagination or has the spirit here really become even better than it was/is on the Ryobi forum?

Ken
      I'm glad it wasn't just me that felt that way. Welcome back

A Professional is someone who does what they say they will do.
      Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm

Comment

• Ikeb
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by leehljp

Auto log on is there.
        It is[?] How does one turn it on then[?]
        Ike
        You can never have enough clamps

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

You need to accept the forum cookies for it to work.

Lee
          Lee

Comment

• Ikeb
            Established Member
            • Dec 2002

quote:Originally posted by Stytooner

You need to accept the forum cookies for it to work.
            According to the Forum FAQ Cookie section:
            quote:These Forums use cookies to store the following information: the last time you logged in, your Username and your Encrypted Password. These cookies are stored on your hard drive. Cookies are not used to track your movement or perform any function other than to enhance your use of these forums. [u]If you have not enabled cookies in your browser, many of these time-saving features will not work properly. Also, you need to have cookies enabled if you want to enter a private forum or post a topic/reply</u>.

You may delete all cookies set by these forums in selecting the "logout" button at the top of any page.
            Note the underlined text. Since I am able to use all features mentioned and can post a topic/reply I must have cookies enabled. I know cookies are enabled for other sites I visit and I don't, to my knowledge, have any mechanisms installed to defeat cookies on a per site basis.

I don't quite understand the last paragraph/sentence though. I take it that when I click the Logout button (i.e once I'm leaving the site) all cookies are deleted. So each session generates new cookies? How can a password be remembered then ... and for that matter how can auto-login possibly work?
            Ike

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I don't quite understand the last paragraph/sentence though. I take it that when I click the Logout button (i.e once I'm leaving the site) all cookies are deleted. So each session generates new cookies? How can a password be remembered then ... and for that matter how can auto-login possibly work?

There are two parts to the memory/cookies/preferences. One part is stored on the BT3Central server and one on your computer. Your computer has the cookies that lets this site know that it is you. A second part is on this server remembering who you are when you come to this web site, provided your password is given - and that is done by either the cookie, or by you typing the password and user name at log in. Logging out does cut the cookies which tell this site who you are.

A second part is this: if you enable your cookies (and you have), and you leave this site without "logging out" - the next time you come back, your cookies and this site know each other, and you will be "automatically" logged on. However, you must tell this site to "remember" your password and you must leave without logging out.

Hank
              Hank Lee

Comment

• kwerner
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2002
                • Norwalk, CT, USA.

Thank you, gentlemen. In addition to having to log on after the domain change, I hadn't realized that I should NOT log out.

Ken

Comment

• leehljp
                  Just me
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Tunica, MS
                  • BT3000/3100

Ken,

One more thing about "logging out" - it is a safety feature for those whose computers are used "occasionally" and especially "often" by other people. For instance, if someone clicks on this site from your computer while "auto log on" is in effect, they will be logged on as "you" automatically and can post anything and even edit any of your posts.

If no one else uses your computer, or if you have to "give a password" everytime you use your computer, then you should be safe.

Hank
                  Hank Lee

Comment

• Ikeb
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002

quote:Originally posted by leehljp
                    One more thing about "logging out" - it is a safety feature for those whose computers are used "occasionally" and especially "often" by other people. For instance, if someone clicks on this site from your computer while "auto log on" is in effect, they will be logged on as "you" automatically and can post anything and even edit any of your posts.

If no one else uses your computer, or if you have to "give a password" everytime you use your computer, then you should be safe.
                    Thanks for the additional info Hank. I was about to ask you why the logout button behaves that way.

I take it that the logout is an activity timeout. What is the inactivity period that signals an auto-logout? I'm guessing that's important from a site administration perspective as well as slightly skewing the "Who's online" info. But the inactivity timer also triggers marking folders as read. From the user's perspective, other than the folder colour change, there is no logout and thus no login -- the cookie takes care of the latter.

Suggestion: Demote the prominent position of the current Logout button to reduce accidental use. I've occassionally clicked the button when I really intended to post a message. [:I]
                    Ike

Comment

• AttilatheHun
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom.

I have been logged on for some 800 minutes on one occasion, with no post for around 6 hours (at night). Never got logged off. I don't think there is an inactivity timer.

AtH
                      This looks complicated, better get a bigger hammer
                      This looks complicated, better get a bigger hammer

Comment

• Ikeb
                        Established Member
                        • Dec 2002

quote:Originally posted by AttilatheHun

I have been logged on for some 800 minutes on one occasion, with no post for around 6 hours (at night). Never got logged off. I don't think there is an inactivity timer.
                        How then do folders get marked as "read"?

And how come you disappear as an "Active User"?
                        Ike

Comment

Working...