• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ikeb
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Misbehaving 'New posts since last logon' indicator

I noticed that the purple "New posts since last logon." started misbehaving for me during this session. I read a couple of forums and then noticed that the other three forums had apparently been all read. (All three forums and all topics in those forums marked in yellow) Checking further, all topics in the two forums already read were all marked as purple, even the ones with no new posts since I last logged one two days ago.

I did spawn a second IE instance pointing to other posts at this site, could that have something to do with it[?]

Oh, well, it's time for bed anyway. [|)]
    Ike
    You can never have enough clamps
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

quote:Originally posted by Ikeb

I noticed that the purple "New posts since last logon." started misbehaving for me during this session. I read a couple of forums and then noticed that the other three forums had apparently been all read. (All three forums and all topics in those forums marked in yellow) Checking further, all topics in the two forums already read were all marked as purple, even the ones with no new posts since I last logged one two days ago.

I did spawn a second IE instance pointing to other posts at this site, could that have something to do with it[?]

Oh, well, it's time for bed anyway. [|)]
    I have similar problems. If I post a message before reading all the forums, the rest are automatically "marked as read" and I do not know what I haven't read. At this point I let my fingers do the walking and click open each one.

Hank
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Sam Conder
      Woodworker Once More
      • Dec 2002
      • Midway, KY
      • Delta 36-725T2

The forum bases its decision on "new posts since last visit" on "sessions". If you close your browser or if you open a new (additional) browser window, you establish a new "session" with the forum software. Everytime a new session is established, your new posts get reset. Your browser's acceptance of cookies also affects this.

A tip: While viewing Active Topics there is a option for "Active Topics Since" at the top left with a drop-down box. The default is "Last Visit", but that can be changed. Give it a try.

Sam Conder
      http://www.samconder.com
      Sam Conder
      BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Sam,

I Just made a post and then went and checked, and "all the unread since last visit" were still there.

It is working for me now. I will add that I followed your sugestion and changed the "Since" but then changed it back. It must have acted like a "wake up" call.

Hank
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Ikeb
          Established Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by sconder

The forum bases its decision on "new posts since last visit" on "sessions". If you close your browser or if you open a new (additional) browser window, you establish a new "session" with the forum software. Everytime a new session is established, your new posts get reset. Your browser's acceptance of cookies also affects this.

A tip: While viewing Active Topics there is a option for "Active Topics Since" at the top left with a drop-down box. The default is "Last Visit", but that can be changed. Give it a try.

Sam Conder
          http://www.samconder.com
          Thanks for the suggestion Sam. It does the trick well enough. I am puzzled by the observations I made however. Your explanation clarifies why all topics in the unread forums turned yellow. But why were all topics in the two forums I'd read marked as purple, even the ones with no new posts since I last logged on two days previous?
          Ike
          You can never have enough clamps

Comment

• AttilatheHun
            • Dec 2002
            • Farnham, Surrey, United Kingdom.

quote:Originally posted by Ikeb... I am puzzled by the observations I made however. Your explanation clarifies why all topics in the unread forums turned yellow. But why were all topics in the two forums I'd read marked as purple, even the ones with no new posts since I last logged on two days previous?
            It's BECAUSE ... OK

Alternative answer (for these sort of occasions) ==>

Are you running Windows? 'Nuff said!

AtH
            This looks complicated, better get a bigger hammer
            This looks complicated, better get a bigger hammer

Comment

Working...