• Show
Clear All
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Minor tool gloat

I replaced my old Wilton 8" bandsaw with a Jet 12". Not very impressive to those of you who have 14" or larger saws but it's a good upgrade for me and I fear it's as large as I can go in my present shop.
    Almost as good as the new saw is I replaced the Homier mobile base(2 fixed and 1 swivel casters) with 4 heavy duty swivel casters from Hartville tools. This change makes the saw very much easier to move and even gains me a small amount of space as I don't have to allow for the lever on the front of the stand. This saw should allow me to do pretty good sized bandsaw boxes and also to resaw lumber that I use in boxes. Hopefully saving some coin.

DonHo
    Don
  • Otter
    • Nov 2003
    • Cumming, GA, USA.
    • Delta Left Tilt UniSaw

Gratz on the new tool.

May it cut like butter.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible

T.E. Lawrence

Comment

• Wilbur4321
      Established Member
      • Feb 2003

Looks like a perfectly fine saw to me. Like my Delta 10", the point is that (a) it's got a good amount of cutting height and (b) a decent motor. Every time I look at one of the "little" saws that barely has any cutting height, I cringe... whereas now, I have very little desire to upgrade.

Well, except to a better base, like yours :-)

--randy

Comment

• Hoover
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2003
        • USA.

I have that same saw. I really like it, runs smooth and seems to have plenty of power.
        No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Stan
          • Mar 2004
          • Kalispell, MT, USA.
          • BT3100, Delta 36-717

From one 12" bandsaw owner to another Congrats! Looks like it should work great for ya.
          From the NW corner of Montana.
          http://www.elksigndesigns.com

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

Nice saw! I like the mobile cabinet too.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• germdoc
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Omaha, NE
              • BT3000--the gray ghost

I almost got one this weekend. On sale at Woodcraft for $300. I was in a hurry, and a purchase like this shouldn't be hurried. Should it?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be resawing anything more than 6", so I'm not sure I see the need for anything larger, which would just take up space and cost more. I have had my eye on the Grizzly and Woodtech 14"ers, so we'll see.

Jeff

“Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing”--Voltaire

Comment

• DonHo
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2004
                • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                • Craftsman 21829

I got the 12" because it would fit on the mobile cabinet where my 8" benchtop used to sit + it was the largest I could get in my small(10'X12') space. I bought it from Amazon ($329 - $25 and free shipping). I did have a problem with the shipping being delayed, but Amazon claims it was not a usual happening(I've never had a problem with them before). So far I'm very please with the saw.
                DonHo
                Don

Comment

Working...