• Show
Clear All
  • bigstick509
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Macomb, MI, USA.
    • BT3100

Need to be Cool

Well, the temp. got up to the low 80's today,and the the shop was a little uncomfortable. How do most of the members cool there shops?
    The shop{garage} is in the northeast corner of the house so it is not in the sun all day, my initial thought was maybe a ceiling fan but recycling the air with micro sawdust might not be a good idea. My only other idea short of air conditioning was a couple of box fans, one inbound and one exhaust. Any suggestions?

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain
  • JeffW
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
    • BT3100

When it gets over a 100, I just go in and out alot.
    Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

When it hits the low 80's in Texas, we grab a light jacket![]
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

quote:Originally posted by Pappy

When it hits the low 80's in Texas, we grab a light jacket![]
        Geeze Pappy, let me get my waders on before you start filling the room up with that $%^&! Everybody knows any self-respecting Texan just turns on the A/C
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

I open the <s>garage</s>, err shop doors and turn on a window fan.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• Stick
            • Sep 2003
            • Grand Rapids, MB, Canada.
            • BT3100

quote:Originally posted by bigstick509

Well, the temp. got up to the low 80's today,and the the shop was a little uncomfortable. How do most of the members cool there shops?
            The shop{garage} is in the northeast corner of the house so it is not in the sun all day, my initial thought was maybe a ceiling fan but recycling the air with micro sawdust might not be a good idea. My only other idea short of air conditioning was a couple of box fans, one inbound and one exhaust. Any suggestions?
            Well, 80's about as hot as we ever see up here. My shops are insulated so well for our winters (12" walls, 24" ceiling, 4" thick doors, only one 2' square triple pane window in each one), that I have to leave doors open or build a fire to get them WARM enough to work comfortably when it's 80 out. They stay about 45-50 if they're closed up. When it's -40°F in winter, the shops stay about +25°F without any heat. A wood fire gets it up to 80-90 within an hour. I wish my house was that well insulated! Previous owner was a cabinet maker that worked from home and he insulated the shops so that he could work all winter out there. So...my answer would have to be insulation, and lots of it!

Comment

• monte
              Forum Windbag
              • Dec 2002
              • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
              • GI 50-185M

quote:Originally posted by bigstick509

I usually open the windows and have a fan running in one of them. If it gets too hot I turn the A/C on.
              Monte (another darksider)
              Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• rbfunk
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Garfield, NJ, USA.

My shop was originaly a garage with one double hung window on the east side. The overhead door faces south.
                Solution so far has been to open the window and the door. El-cheapo fan to move the air from the back and out the overhead door and what really cooled things down is a tarp rigged as an awning at the door. It keeps the sun from blasting in.
                The next step is to insulate, mostly for winter time but I hope it cuts down the heat gain.
                Bob
                Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.

Comment

• mater
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • SC, USA.

I use a couple of fans myself. They don't do much cooling but do stir the air so that it feels better.
                  Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• final_t
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2003

Heat isn't the problem this weekend, humidity is. 77 now, "says" only 75% humidity. Supposed to hit 86 today.

Comment

• maxparot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
                      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Out here in Arizona where it gets to be 120 during the summer I use multiple stages of cooling.
                      First is 2 ceiling fans. (If you have too much dust moving around because of the fans you don't have good enough dust control.)
                      Second stage is an evaporative cooler. (Swamp Cooler for those in the know) It can lower the temperature 20-25 degrees depending on the relative humidity. It becomes less effective as the humidity rises. Some folk report the moisture change effecting their wood but out here in Phoenix I haven't found it to be a problem. I may be due to the fact that when I use the Evap the outside air is extremely dry and as it becomes more humid (in monsoon season) I switch over to a 15000 BTU AirConditioner which is stage 3.
                      Opinions are like gas;
                      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• Rounder
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Sanford, FL, USA.
                        • BT3100

It is already in the 90's here and humid. Just a few minutes in the shop and you are soaking wet. I have double doors at the north end and a door on the west side. I do not have any windows that can be opened. The shop is not sealed enough to have a/c.

What I did was take a cheap box fan and build a 2 x 4 stand for it. I put it in front of the double doors. I have another fan mounted in the upper corner of the opposite side of the shop to help create a cross breeze.
                        George AKA Rounder

"Amarillo Slim, the greatist proposition gambler of all time held to his father's maxim; You can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin him only once."

Comment

• BobSch
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100

If you don't already have one, add a roof vent of two to give the hot air someplace to go. That and a floor stand fan and all the doors open works when it hits 90/90 up here.

And for all of you not of the northern persuasion, yeah, we get hot, humid weather up here. It's called road construction season.

Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• pierhogunn
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2003
                            • Harrisburg, NC, USA.

A small AC unit, or one of the portable units might work for you, just make sure you can vent that heat outside somehow

Dan
                            It's Like I've always said, it's amazing what an agnostic can't do if he dosent know whether he believes in anything or not

Monty Python's Flying Circus

Dan in Harrisburg, NC

Comment

• sawdustman
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Jan 2005
                              • Pittsburgh, PA.

quote:Originally posted by BobSch

And for all of you not of the northern persuasion, yeah, we get hot, humid weather up here. It's called road construction season.

So true.

Comment

Working...