• Show
Clear All
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Shop-Built Tool Doc?

I was wondering if anyone had any shop built tool docs out there (with pix of course) or plans for one. I'm needing some storage space for my planer, jointer, mortiser, and OSS.

I thought it might be nice if I could put my planer on full extension slides and just glide it out of the doc, plane, and push it back in. It's the DW733 and weighs about 70#'s. I'd rather not lift it if I didn't have to. The other items I would take out and doc in some table.

I'm trying to free up some realestate in the shop/garage so I can buy more tools, WOOHOO! No seriously though I just need more space to use the ones I have now. Square footage is at a premium so just like NYC, I thought I'd start building UP.

Thx,
    Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Putting the planer on full-extension drawer slides is a clever idea, but you'll probably want to have some sort of folding leg or similar to support the planer "drawer" when it's pulled out, to make sure it stays correctly aligned with your infeed/outfeed supports. If the slides sag even a little and/or allow the planer to move up and down any, you could get some snipe.

Another option would be to make the planer the lowest item in the stack and put it on a cart with casters. If you didn't mind having the planer beds down low -- say, around 12"-16" above the floor -- you could even make the planer cart do double-duty as the "table" to which you dock your other tools, by somehow attaching them over the planer.

(Oh by the way ... no, I don't have any plans or photos, sorry. I've just been thinking about this same subject myself ...)
    Larry

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

My "tool doc" system consist of a Craftsman project center and shelfbrackets on the wall studs. All the tools are mounted on 1/2" ply that fits the top cavity on the project center.

I used to have most of my tools arranged this way, even my bench top bandsaw and drill press.

But after I upgraded to a larger drill press and got the 13" planer and the cast iron jointer I didn't want to be lifting all that weight on and off the cart. I mounted the most used and/or heavyest tools on their on carts(greatly increased storage also). Now I mostly keep the router table mounted on the cart and move the others on when I need them.

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• Woodnut
        • Sep 2003
        • Modesto, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

Take a look at a thread I posted a while back...

tread
        Woodnut
        "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

I did a search for "tool dock" before posting this thread but it didn't pick up "tooldock" as in your message. Thanks for pointing it out. Did you ever end up with some pictures of your creation? I'd like to have a look.

I've started on a tool rack of sorts. It's starting to look a little large but I can shrink it still if I want to.

Don: Your post with that rack is what got me started on this one. Thanks again for posting it.

Bill
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Woodnut
            • Sep 2003
            • Modesto, CA, USA.
            • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by bmyers

I did a search for "tool dock" before posting this thread but it didn't pick up "tooldock" as in your message. Thanks for pointing it out. Did you ever end up with some pictures of your creation? I'd like to have a look.

I've started on a tool rack of sorts. It's starting to look a little large but I can shrink it still if I want to.

Don: Your post with that rack is what got me started on this one. Thanks again for posting it.

Bill
            I'll try to get some...
            Woodnut
            "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

I have been thinking about doing something like that also. I am not short of space now but if I can move my portable(another oxymoron) benchtop jointer, I would free up space for another tool.

I have some plans for a planer station and have been thinking about making it larger and make it a combo planer/jointer unit. I think I could fit both on a cabinet top of about 28" x 40".

I also considered mounting a flip-top table to the side of the planer cabinet and let the jointer hang down until I needed it. But then I would still have to lift it up and put a prop under it but it may not be as bad having to make space on the workbench and then lifting it from a shelf to the bench.

Anyhow, still thinking...

Ken

Comment

• SteveR
                Established Member
                • Feb 2003
                • USA.

Hi Bill,
                I needed to get some real estate freed up too.
                Although it does not free up as much space as a tool dock deal would, I opted for the flip tops as I wanted to eliminate lifting the planer and other heavier tools. I have the older (taller) DW planer (not the newer shorter one). I put the DW with the Ryobi OSS as they were the heaviest....put thru a solid 1/2" steel rod thru an LVL mounting pad, on a simple 2x4 frame with 2x4 cross-members half lapped joinery screwed and glued..pretty solid and will place wheels on the back side to move it around (like a wheelbarrow concept). Even though there is a noticable difference in the weights of the two tools, I was surpised how easy it flips..my 8 yo boy can do it with no problem. I am also doing another flip top for a Delta SS and Ryobi disc sander.
                HTH
                Steve

Comment

• lago
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Lago Vista, TX.

Steve

Can you post a picture of your setup? If I read it correctly, you have a flip top for the two tools and one is upside down.

Ken

Comment

• SteveR
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • USA.

quote:Originally posted by lago

Can you post a picture of your setup? If I read it correctly, you have a flip top for the two tools and one is upside down.
                    Hi Ken,
                    Yes, I think you see it correctly. The DW and OSS are mounted opposite sides of each other.....so when using one the other is on the bottom, and is hanging upside down and not useable. Yes, I can post a pic...do not have one currently, but will take one and post on here. Keep in mind, this not going to be fine woodworking, just functional and not very pretty at all LOL.
                    Steve

Comment

• MilDoc

SteveR - "LVL mounting pad..." What is that?

I'd love to see your not-very-pretty set-up too. I've seen plans for flip-tops but they are far beyond my capabilities thus far!

Comment

• SteveR
                        Established Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • USA.

quote:Originally posted by MilDoc

SteveR - "LVL mounting pad..." What is that?
                        I'd love to see your not-very-pretty set-up too. I've seen plans for flip-tops but they are far beyond my capabilities thus far!
                        MilDoc, LVL is that stuff the replaces the standard dimensional lumber (IE, 2x10,2x12 etc.) for framing purposes....it has longer span lengths and sturdier than the regular stuff. It is basically a laminated material (looks sort of like plywood in section). The piece I got was about 2" x 18" (will verify) and was for sure thick enough (strong) to mount both tools to. This stuff is much heavier than dimensional lumber. Many jobsites are using it now. Just drop by one and ask the job foreman to look at his cutoff pile (trash) for LVL shorts, that is how I got mine.

Your gonna love the simplicity of this LOL. The only technical part, if it is to be called such, for the joinery is the half laps. I used a stacked dado to make these, although probably not necessary to do them at all if you do not have that setup. I was trying to cut down on the bulkyness of the 2x4's sticking out on the sides.
                        HTH
                        Steve

Comment

Working...