Getting rid of the lower table saw / router table floor run. Design query...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Getting rid of the lower table saw / router table floor run. Design query...

So kind of hard to see here, but let me see if I can attach the pics of the existing configuration and explain it and what I want to do...

The BT3100 / wide table kit and workbench. This pic LOOKS like the wide table is lower than the bench. It isn't, just an optical illusion.

IF you look carefully at the right side at the floor, you can see the run of 4" DWV with the wye and blast gates that feed the router box lower pickup. Also you can see the 4" Shark Guard on the saw. It is that floor run I am trying to get rid of. It has been a tripping hazard, consumes floor space, and more or less keeps the workbench and table saw in place with very little ability to relocate either on an as needed basis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0272.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	847335

From this perspective, you can see the back side of the table saw, with the port at the blade shroud, just inline of that is the 4x2.5 splitter and an attachment to the belly pan is there. In this pic I have the 2.5" port on the Shark Guard. And yes, on the last SG I bought, I got both a 4 and a 2.5" port. I found the 4" works a bit better than the 2.5" although the 2.5 is no slouch... You also can see the dangling 4" hose above the workbench, that is the port I use for the benchtop tools.

Name:	20140308_140331.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	847336

Now in this pic I show the overhead run. Beyond where you can see on the ceiling is the take off for the miter saw bench, and the overhead for the table saw. WHere I am thinking of making changes is basically BEFORE the wye you see that makes the branch to the router table. With that said, let's move forward, or backward, whatever, back to the dust collector...

Name:	20140202_164538.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	847337

So everything between the the wye, gets replaced with 5", but I want to put a 5x4 reducer AND 5x5x5 Wye immediately BEFORE the 4" wye, branching DOWN, And again reducing to 4", thus I will have a 4" run immediately BELOW the wide table and along to the table saw, AND retain the 4" overhead.

Replace ALL of the ducting prior to this with 4", reducing to 4" at the tool as needed. NOT SHOWN in any of these pics is the floor run of existing 4" along the outer / tool wall. This gives me at least a 30" drop, then the associated 30" lift. I want to be more or less level with the pickup / port / work surface.

Flatly speaking, the Sunhill jointer MUST move. No option there. That is where the 5" duct will go.

Oh and in that last pic is my BIGGEST regrets shop wise. The fixed tripod roller stands. I NEVER should have bought them. Folding roller stands would take up FAR less space, and be more efficient in the shop, and at around $20.00 per at Harbor Freight vs. $15.00 per the fixed ones. I should have spent the extra $10.00! Where the stand on the left is is where the cross pipe for the floor run crosses the floor. As you can see, this space can be used for a flip top stand easily...

Anyway I digress.

I hope I am making clear what my desired end result here is...

#1. Eliminate the tripping hazard and undue floor space user of the lower run / cross pipe.
    #2. Shorten the runs of 4" flex hose.
    #3. Reduce or eliminate lift / drop in my runs as much as possible.
    #4. Straighten the runs out / remove CFM bottle necks. This has already been done more or less by removing the 5" flex line to the Thien 55 gallon separator, AND the Thien 55 gallon separator.
    #5. Maximize airflow at the ports.

This is all for making the dust collection as effective as possible. I KNOW I am working with a less than perfect DC, but I am also aware I can't afford money, or space wise the dream dust collector that I think most of us drool over, like a 5HP Clear Vue with 8" or so ducting that could suck up a small block Chevy engine if left unchained on a workbench... I know exaggeration, but you get the idea... I hope.

Realize that like so many other things in our shops, I am working with compromise, financial, physical space, and power limitations.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
Working...