• Show
Clear All
  • 19 Stars
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2020
    • Black Mountain, NC
    • 1950's Craftsman, Dewalt

Guitar-Making Bench Project

I build electric guitars from scratch for a hobby, soon to be full-time with my retirement from the local Sheriff's Office in 3 working days (!) and have had eight stands / tables about the garage, each with a different machine on it. Chaos was reigning, and getting any work done was, let us say, difficult and trying.

So one fine day I stumbled onto an ad in the FaceBook Marketplace for chunks of bowling alley. The price being very reasonable, I drove a half hour and picked up an 11' long chunk of bowling alley. 42" wide and a hair under 3" thick, it is all pine, with the exception of rock maple sides, and on one end maple is fingerboarded into the pine, where the approach ended and the lane began. It's massively heavy, at almost 300 pounds.

Lesson learned - don't start a project like this right before Thanksgiving, when you've got a full-time job, and have two out of state funerals to attend, not to mention an out of state expedition with two dogs to see in-laws for 10 days.... your progress will be SLOW.

Got the truss completed, added eight drawers which I made (discovered in the process that I'm certainly no cabinet maker), a big and clear center section to stack stuff up in, a section for guitar templates to be stored, and also eight restaurant bussing tubs as drawers, partly because I was DONE making drawers, and they are convenient to pull out of the slides and take to the bench with the contents I might need.

Finally got it all completed, put the bowling alley on the top, removed 50+ years of God-only-knows what kind of finish was on it with a half gallon of stripper and a LOT of elbow grease with a big, sharp scraper (amazing how much material you can remove that way) and touched up the corners and edges with a belt sander. Finally, added some of those nifty drop down casters that you can just step on, engaging the wasters, and move the table about. That turned out to be a really needed touch.

Anyway, here it is. Currently I'm pulling additional electric into the garage (what kind of a fool builds his retirement house but only includes two 110V 15A circuits in the garage? Then hard-piping my Harbor Freight dust collector with lots of 4" and 2.5" schedule 20 PVC and blast gates, and then I'm back off to the races; I've got a couple of commissioned guitars that need making !

Attached Files
  • BadeMillsap
    • Dec 2005
    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
    • Grizzly G1023SL

Very nice! Enjoy retirement! Show some pics of your guitars.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
    Bade Millsap
    Bulverde, Texas
    => Bade's Personal Web Log
    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• 19 Stars
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2020
      • Black Mountain, NC
      • 1950's Craftsman, Dewalt

Very well.... here's the 4 that I have on-hand, ready for sale:

Bastogne (Paradox) walnut Telecaster
      Curly Cherry on Paduak Les Paul Jr.
      Claro walnut on locally grown maple Telecaster
      Ziricote on locally grown maple Jazzmaster

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_161004.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	838452Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_212250.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	838453Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_164218.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	838454Click image for larger version

Name:	20200122_214526.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	838455

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Outstanding! I like the natural finish. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

Working...