• Show
Clear All
  • hitekrednek
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Ft Worth, TX, USA.
    • BT3100

Don't forget the sucking in of mosquitos Loring
    I can only please one person a day ........

Hugh C.

Comment

• Shipwreck
      Forum Newbie
      • Mar 2005

quote:Originally posted by LCHIEN

For some reason it's real impulsive to think of blowing your "refuse" out of your dwelling - this is the attitude that has made man the biggest polluter on the earth.

Besides the effect on the environment the next thing that should cross their minds is the fact that they are not only sucking dust out of their room but also about 500 to 1000 cu ft. of air, every minute.

That's about 1/4th the volume of a 2- car garage. so in four minutes all the air inside the garage will be outside the garage, assuming the DC is allowed to do its job.

If you have an AC or a heating unit, assume it takes 20 minutes to pull the air in the room from outside temp to inside temp. So you'd probably need 6 times the a/C or heating capacity you had before.

Oh yeah, you'll be pulling in 1000 cu ft of air per minute from outside (otherwise your garage would collapse from the vacuum). So you have to have a low restriction inlet into the garage from outside lest you reduce the efficiency of your air cleaner. A furnace filter filter of approx 12' x 8' covering an opening 100 sq. ft (50% bigger than a single-car overhead door) would suffice. That's about the size of a low restriction pleated filter. Something like 30 sq ft might work, but it would have the equivalent restriction of putting two layers of bags on your DC.

Why do you need a filter? Because otherwise you would suck in pollen, dust, and other airborne junk including yours and your neighbor woodworker's discarded sawdust (since that appears to be the custom in your neghborhood).

Ah, if you lived in houston, there would probably be several gallons of water sucked in too, masquarading as humidity. Probably good for your cast iron tools.

Sorry to get you so ruffled up. No I am not a earth pig. Like I said in one of the lines of my initial post, I'm going to play around with it until I get it straight. If it comes down to adding some thing to the collector outside to prevent dust from blowing all over hells half acre, then I will. However I do appreciate your concern over the enviroment, I also share your feelings.

Comment

Working...