• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dani D.
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2003
    • Magnolia, Delaware, USA.

New shop project

I,m living in a town house and my "shop" it is my back yard, the good news are that I'm buying a house with a garage 20x21 and the wife give free will to set up my shop so my cuestion is: what would you recomend when setting a new shop?
    lo bueno, si breve, dos veces bueno
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

Lots of electric outlets. Insulation for a/c and heat. Shelves and or cabinets for storage. That should get ya started and wanting a larger space[8D]
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• boblon
      • Aug 2003
      • Florida, USA.

Definately lots of outlets...on more than one circuit.

Before you start buying tools and builiding cabinets and benches I would start thinking about a plan for the setup for long term. I sure wish I had.

It's going to seem like a lot of room when you first get in the new shop. Try to avoid just putting stuff in there without regard to where you want to go because it seems like you have all the room in the world right now.

Before ya know it you won't have room for the tool/cabinet you really want, or be able to swing a large board around without banging into things.

You might want to consider a flexible storage system while the space is empty. Be it french cleats along the walls for easy re-arrangment, or some other system.

If you begin building cabinets for storage maybe keep modularity in mind. Having them the same height and depth in case you want to re-arrange things.

Try to envision what tools you will buy (even if it will be a while) and how/where they will be used. As you begin to build cabinets/benches you can anticipate future purchaces and already have a nice snug home for that tool you will eventually buy.

Sure wish I would have done some of these things. I never envisioned having all the tools I have and sure would have done things differently.

Anyhow, congrats on the new house.......enjoy.

BobL.
      "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Woodnut
        • Sep 2003
        • Modesto, CA, USA.
        • BT3000

Dani,

Check this out. It's a fun little utility to help setup a shop as far as physical location of tools/stations.

Also check out this article from the folks at Wood magazine. It has some nice pointers.
        (Be sure to check out all 3 pages)
        Woodnut
        "I should know better, but where's the fun in that?!"

Comment

Working...