X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

Router table top question

Ok, I have assembled all the pieces parts for my router table.

M12V
    Plywood
    Switch/cord
    Woodpecker Pluge Lift
    Incra LS 17 super system
    Laminate

However...in the time since I started collecting these items the shop (garage) has <s>shrunk</s> err, filled to capacity. I could probably squeeze in a dedicated table but it won't be easy.

I built a long BT3 mobile cabinet a while ago and it would be a great place to retrofit to accept the router (assuming I don't destroy it in the process).

It is constructed of 3/4" MDF with a formica top surface. My question (finally) is this...

If I install supports (cross braces) under the 3/4" MDF top, will it hold this router/lift or am I asking for sagging issues down the road?

TIA,

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
  • WEG
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Nahant, MA.

Hi Boblon;
    I built my table using a leftover formica laminate counter top that I placed on stand made from 2x4 legs, 3/4 ply aprons all around and braced across the aprons front to back with 2x6 making a 'well' for the M12V to sit between (does this make sense?). I used a Rousseau plate, but I don't think that makes any difference to the top, just makes me jealous of your woodpecker plunge lift Boy, this sounds like a real nice set up you are putting together. Please let us know how it works out.

WEG

Comment

• boblon
      • Aug 2003
      • Florida, USA.

Thanks for the reply WEG.

How long ago did you do this? And, I am assuming you have not noticed any sagging or other problems with your setup?

BobL.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

Bob,

I supported a lighter router (a PC690) in 3/4 melamine in my extension table until I got my dedicated router table built. It did not sag. If you put supports near the edges of the router plate you will not have to worry about the MDF sagging. You probably wouldn't even without the supports. Even though a 15 lb router seems a bit heavy to us, 3/4 MDF can support a bunch more (even though it's the weakest sheetgood). You may be able to "fake-out" the rockler shelf program to calculate the sag by inputting the maximum unsupported dimension and weight. I doubt it will be significant (but if it is, add a support).

Jim

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

Thanks for the input Jim.

Well, I didn't expect many "I did that and it works fine" responses as I know this is not normally done. But...

...as I was hoping, I did NOT get anybody saying it was not a good idea to even try it, so....

...I guess I'll give it a shot and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone

BobL.

Comment

• WEG
            Established Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Nahant, MA.

Hi Boblon;
            I put this table together at least two years ago and no sags in top or Rousseau plate, don't expect any either
            WEG

Comment

Working...