• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guycox
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Romulak, VA, USA.

Vertical Drops

I'd like to create electrical drops using SO cable terminated with the 20A sockets from the ceiling. The connector style strain reliefs on mcsdirect look like they are going to run about $30 a pop for a 1/2 NPT fitting and a cable gripper basket..

One alternative is to actually hang the outlet box at the end of THHN conduit -- this will probably be the cheapest.

Then I saw flexible PVC conduit (not the SMURF tube stuff) that is designed for waterproof installations (like this)http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...PMPXNO=3209758.. and then just hang a pvc box on the end. Will this meet code - I don't want to have to rip it out if I decide to sell the house.

TIA
    Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
    What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.
  • LJR
    Established Member
    • Jan 2005

Guy, sounds like you've got a great idea there but you don't need to spend that much money on it.

Dropping an SO cord with a connector on the end is a good way to go. SO is oil resistant and you probably don't need that, if you can find SJ it would serve the same purpose and be cheaper.

Connector style strain relief, what you're looking at there is overkill, unless you're hanging a lot more cord than I think you are. Look at MSC part number 54088380. That style should work just fine for you and much cheaper.

If you put a junction box on the end of your drop that box has to be supported. That means you would be building a "down rod" or something to support that box. More work than it's worth in a small shop.

Comment

• gjbivin
      Established Member
      • Jan 2005
      • Gilbert, AZ, USA.
      • BT3100

I've seen junction boxes hung from the ceiling on flat-link chain (I'm not sure of the correct term). Just adjust the chain so that there is a little slack in the cable. It would probably also be a good idea to tie-wrap the cable to the chain in one or two places to keep everything neat and snag-resistant.
      Gary J. Bivin
      Gilbert, AZ

Comment

Working...