• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Erik Eitel
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Jackson, NJ, USA.

Fire Safety

Last night at work (I'm a firefighter) we were sent to an industrial complex for a possible fire. There is a millwork company there and just outside their building they had 4 - 35 gallon garbage cans full of sawdust from their DC system. The contents of one of the cans was smoldering. We couldn't determine what it was but something had started a fire in the middle of the contents of the can and had burned a hole through the plastic wall of the garbage can.

Point to the story:

Check your shop smoke (or heat) detector, and make sure you have at least one fire extinguisher nearby. Also, be very careful with anything that may cause a fire.

These guys were lucky. The 4 garbage cans were located next to an overflowing dumpster, that had about 10 large wooden pallets leaning against it and 2 vans parked nearby.

Had it not been for the occupants of the building next store, things could have turned out worse.

I did mange to score a 3' x 3' piece of 1 1/4" laminated MDF from their scrap pile though!

Erik
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Erik

I do have several fire extinguishers in the shop but had never thought of a smoke detector.
    Thanks for the post.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• final_t
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2003

"Suddne Heat Rise" (with IR if possible) detector is what I suggest, not a straight smoke detector, since every one I've ever put in the shop gets set off by the dust that manages to get out (esp. when using MDF). So the rest of the house is really well covered by the "nope, won't work here" units (note: this is also true in the kitchen when you have a oven that is a pain to keep clean).
      As for what set off the smoldering fire, would not be a bit surprised if someone sucked up a finishing rag or the like.

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I hear that small bits of metal sucked into the DC can be a cause of a (delayed) fire. They can cause a spark into the sawdust, which can take quite some time to develop into something more serious.

Gerd

Comment

• lrogers
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Mobile, AL. USA.
          • BT3000

Like Dick, I have a fire extinguisher in the shop, but likewise I never thought about a smoke/fire detector.
          Thanks for post Erik.
          Larry R. Rogers
          The Samurai Wood Butcher
          http://splash54.multiply.com
          http://community.webshots.com/user/splash54

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I have 1) 5# ABC dry chemical and 1) 7# Halon 1211 in my shop and another 3) 5# ABC/DC in my home.
            But them again I work for a Fire Equipment Service company.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• andrew.r.w
              Established Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Canada.

I'm thinking one of the best fire-prevention moves one could take is to remove fuel from your shop.

Obviously fire extinguishers and detectors are important, but by not storing flammable liquids, piles of scrap wood, rags, paper, and other flammables in your shop, you reduce the risk of fire and the likelihood you'll use those reactive devices.

Maybe this weekend I should take a closer look at my shop with this in mind.
              Andrew

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by andrew.r.w

I'm thinking one of the best fire-prevention moves one could take is to remove fuel from your shop.
                Well thanks for reminding about the fuel laying about in my shop: two gas cans, two big propane tanks and 4 or 5 camping size propane bottles. Unfortunately, until I build a shed this summer, the garage is the safest place for that stuff.

Bob

Comment

• andrew.r.w
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • Canada.

I hauled 3 cans of dust, scrap, and peper out of my shop tonight.

I feel safer. I should check my extinguisher ...
                  Andrew

Comment

• WoodRook
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Endicott, NY, USA.

For folks with basement shops, how much of a hazard do the "house mechanicals" create (i.e., boiler combustion & sawdust)? Thanks.
                    WoodRook

Comment

Working...