• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

quick table saw question

I recently moved some cabinets from the garage and I am planning to install them in the shop. I didn't care for the way the previous owner installed them, so I plan on using French cleats to hang 'em this time.

Which is the preferred way to rip long, narrow strips on a 45 Degree bevel? The blade pointing away from the fence or towards it?

Thanks.
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

I prefer to do it with the blade pointing away from the fence. To me it seems safer and more intuitive.

Comment

• RAV2
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Massachusetts

Originally posted by Neal
      I prefer to do it with the blade pointing away from the fence. To me it seems safer and more intuitive.
      X2

Avoid the 'trapped arrow' effect............

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

My understanding is that the blade should be pointed away from the fence. To put it another way, the topmost part of the blade should be farther from the fence than the visible bottom of the blade. If you point the blade toward the fence, then the wood can be trapped between the fence, the table, and the blade. Havoc and danger may ensue. This is true of any angle, not just 45.
        Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

The table saw is workable as described (blade tilt away from fence) - but if you have a router table and a 45 degree chamfer bit, you might give that a try.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Eric
            • Jun 2003
            • Cocolalla, ID
            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Should always have the cut off piece fall off away from the blade.

Comment

• PartTimeHack
              Forum Newbie
              • Mar 2015
              • TN
              • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks

I had seen it done both ways, but thought it was better to have the blade pointed away in this case.

I appreciate the responses.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

From what I've seen, it was a little more acceptable to have the blade towards the fence if you had a right tilt saw. I'm not saying it was right or wrong, but that's the impression I got.

However, like others have said, with a left tilt blade, it should go away from the fence.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

When I've done this I've tilted the blade away from the rip fence. If you tilt it towards the fence, you get tempted to get the saw very close to the fence to complete the cut potentially damaging the rip fence. Perhaps worse, the offcut will be where you cannot get to it and can get launched by the blade.

These days, I would probably use the tracksaw whenever possible. I don't like 45 degree rips on the tablesaw.

Comment

Working...