• Show
Clear All
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

jpthien web site access?

One of my back burner shop improvement projects that I've just been able to pull to the front burner is building a Thien cyclone (dust separator baffle).

I've been following posts on his web site (jpthien.com) pretty regularly over the past couple of months for a while, but when I tried accessing the site today, the page shows a menu with a bunch of ads, and no way that I can see of getting to the actual site. I usually use Google chrome, but same thing happens with Internet Explorer.

I don't think my computer has any malware infection, and Thien's site is the only one that I've seen this. Anybody else have this problem, or know of a fix? I'm bummed that just as I'm ready to dig into the project, I can't get the help I need from that forum.
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jdon
    I don't think my computer has any malware infection, and Thien's site is the only one that I've seen this.
    Looks like he didn't renew his web registration - so the provider turned off his web page. He blocks archive services, so you also can't recover the old web pages from web archives like the Wayback Machine.

The page cache is still available on a Bing search, so you may want to go to the cached pages and save them before they are gone for good.

He has posted here in the past as well, so you find useful information by a search on BT3Central. He was active on Woodnet as well, so you might be able to contact him there and find out what happened and if his website will be back.

For future reference, WinHTTrack is a free website archiver - it will copy a website to your hard drive. Takes a little learning to use it effectively, but it works well. I use it to capture information on websites when I am concerned they may "disappear".

As a practical matter, the "Thien separator" is not really new, but has been a standard component of commercial dust collection systems for decades. Information on this type of separator as well as improvements to it is available in several wood dust collection books and publications. As far as I know, however, the specific plans for that collector were developed by him, but you can probably find them on other websites.

Depending on how far along you are on construction, you might also wish to consider some of the better cyclones such as the Wood magazine version.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

Great info- both for this issue and future ones. Thanks, woodturner!

Comment

• jon_ramp
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • western Chicago burb
        • Craftsman 21829

I was just there last week and checked again just now. The site worked for me. Did you have the i and e reversed? http://www.jpthien.com/

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by jon_ramp
          . The site worked for me. Did you have the i and e reversed? http://www.jpthien.com/
          Looks like the site is back up - I tried earlier by copying and pasting the OPs link, and it was down, but with the same link it works for me now, too.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

Did you have the i and e reversed?
            Not this time Site's up now for me too...

Comment

Working...