X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Forest for the trees

Sometimes we can be stubborn to where ideas easily present themselves. That applies to me often. I have been agonizing over what to do with my miter saw for months. Some of that had also to do with where to put my DC solution. Those familiar with the size of my shop know I've been trying to find an optimal solution that leaves me room to move around and not have to move something to use a tool.

I made my problem worse by limiting where I was going to put things due to my concrete layout of having my bench mated with my saw. On the surface, it was the logical thing to do: same size, height. It meant I probably wouldn't be able to use a face vise easily and my end vise stuck out into the walkway. I've made that compromise ever since before the bench was built, and I never saw an alternative even when some of you suggested otherwise.

Yesterday I had my Inception moment where I decided I needed to try the bench along one of the walls. The genesis of this was the idea I needed to have my DC solution roughly at the center of the shop. It wouldn't fit under the bench and I couldn't see what the bench would displace along the walls.

The solution (or one of two potential ones) was to take a look at the shop itself. I had nearly four feet of support to the right of the saw, an it doesn't make a lot of sense when you consider the door opening will never allow me to fully use it. This opened up the possibility of putting something tall in front of the window - the band saw or the drill press. I've chosen the band saw for now. I haven't decided what wall the bench will sit on, but moving it gives me the room needed to potentially keep my full size router table and enough room to use almost every tool in its stored position. The exception may have to be the jointer, because it's massive for a 6".

I took a couple hours and moved stuff around yesterday to see if it would be feasible. I think it is, but it's early still. I'll post some pics in a bit with my ideas. The moral of this is, don't be afraid to change your mind and be open to second opinions about anything from projects to layout. Might save you some headaches.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Sent from my Cyanogenmod Touchpad
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

Working...