• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Revived an old shop project

My #7 and #8 planes won't fit in the cabinet with the other planes and have been laying on top of a cabinet in the back of the Playpen where they are hard to reach. I came with the idea of a wall shelf for them but the only thing ever done was to cut the plywood parts. The end pieces got repurposed (Is that even a word?) long ago.

While working on the shelves for the laundry room I decided to use the laundry supply shelf that I cut off to finish the plane shelf. The 1/2" plywood was cut thinner when I removed it, so I planned off the part the BT didn't cut and ran it through the drum sander to smooth it out and remove the paint.

Dados were cut for the shelves and the front edge got some shaping. Some scrap 1x2 was glued to the underside of the top shelf for a nailer strip and the drop from that was cut in half and gluded under the ends of the lower shelf as stiffeners. The left over from the ends was cut to make end pices to keep the planes centered so the cutter was rest over shallow dados in the shelves. These were glued in place just before I shut down for the evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Plane shelf 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	798221

Name:	Plane shelf 2.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	798222

Still need to do some light sanding and remove some glue squeeze out before spraying it with laquer. Then I have to find a spot to mount it so I can get to the planes.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

So, what's the status on your 'repurposing'? Have you had time to make any additional progress? BTW, you mentioned 'running it through a belt sander. Is it a portable or bench type and if the latter, did you build it yourself?
    Last edited by ironhat; 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM. Reason: added sander query
    Blessings,
    Chiz

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Drum sander, not belt sander. I got it finished but have another utility project going on that will be finished Sunday. Then I can pull everything out and clean up the playpen. I will hang it on the wall then and get a final pic to post.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Got the utility project done but didn't get the Playpen cleaned. I did manage to get the plane shelf hung while waiting for a glue up to dry.

It is to the right just inside the door under a set of deep jaw Irwin clamps. With the clamps and the fire extinguisher hanging above them it keeps me from moving a tool close enough to hit the shelf (I HOPE!).

Name:	Plane shelf installed.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	786394
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...